The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

The most important cardboard box ever?

This forum contains some of the topics from 2010 to 2015 which are now 'Read Only' so cannot be posted in but still remain accessible to all members. Where appropriate, new topics of the same name have been created in the main forum.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

The most important cardboard box ever?

Post by Trigger » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:51 pm

It doesn't look very exciting - a cardboard box about 5in (13cm) tall, covered in leatherette, with a small round opening at the front. You might have some trouble working out what it was for if you didn't know. But the Brownie might be the most important camera ever made, writes the BBC's Stephen Dowling.

Before it appeared in 1900, cameras were distinctly unwieldy, if not downright cumbersome. Early cameras tended to be made of a great deal of brass and mahogany and took pictures on to large glass or metal plates, often requiring exposure times measured in minutes. To photograph far-flung places, porters and pack animals were often needed to carry the equipment. Photography was an activity involving patience, toxic chemicals, and brute strength. It was not something the ordinary people indulged in.

US inventor George Eastman took an important step forward in the 1880s, when he popularised a flexible film that did away with the need for weighty plates. His first "Kodak Camera" went on sale in 1888, pre-loaded with enough film to take 100 photographs. When the last picture was taken, the entire camera was sent back to Kodak to be developed. It was an uncomplicated box but it cost $25 - a significant amount of money. It was still a device for the wealthy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30530268
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The most important cardboard box ever?

Post by nikkai » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:53 am

Thank you Trigger a great read
I think I remember that the name Kodak was just a jumble of letters that meant nothing to the Eastman group
(I could be wrong though)
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:29 pm

nikkai wrote:Thank you Trigger a great read
I think I remember that the name Kodak was just a jumble of letters that meant nothing to the Eastman group
You're welcome! Regarding the meaning/origin of the name KODAK - you're right! http://www.darklanecreative.com/blog/th ... word-kodak - another interesting read! :P

My first camera was Mum's Kodak Box Brownie - but not the cardboard version - that even predates me! :lol:
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:29 pm

Trigger wrote:
nikkai wrote:Thank you Trigger a great read
You're welcome! Regarding the meaning/origin of the name KODAK - you're right! http://www.darklanecreative.com/blog/th ... word-kodak - another interesting read! :P

My first camera was Mum's Kodak Box Brownie - but not the cardboard version - that even predates me! :lol:
Not a pin-hole camera then Trigger? ;-)
It's grim up North...

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:16 pm

frankiesays wrote:[Not a pin-hole camera then Trigger? ;-)
Nope - tho' I made one of them when I was in the Cubs - and, around the same time, made a Cat's Whisker Radio - though the cat was none too pleased! I remember I took it upstairs when I went to bed - and listened to the Last Night of the Proms which was conducted by "Flash Harry"! Image