The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

"What Camera & Accessories?"

This forum contains some of the topics from 2010 to 2015 which are now 'Read Only' so cannot be posted in but still remain accessible to all members. Where appropriate, new topics of the same name have been created in the main forum.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

"What Camera & Accessories?"

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:45 pm

In a string of posts in one of the photo topics recently, a brief discussion was started about changing cameras and the pros and cons of the different types of cameras available.

Trigger has suggested that rather than continue to disrupt that topic in which the discussion commenced that a new topic devoted to this theme be started and which I think is a very good suggestion.

I have therefore started this topic where we can discuss and ask questions on any aspects of Cameras and their Accessories, or even tell each other more about the equipment we own or are using which might prove informative to others, so I hope everyone will find this topic useful one way or another. Feel free to post any images which you think may be useful or interesting and are relative to your post.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: "What Camera & Accessories?"

Post by frankiesays » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:23 pm

I've recently upgraded to a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 after long deliberation. I'm very pleased with it but need to spend much more time using it to get to know where everything is and what it is capable of. The 20mm-1200mm zoom was very appealing.
It's grim up North...

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:48 am

I’d been a fan of the Panasonic Lumix bridge cameras and, whilst I really enjoyed using them (feeling they were “the camera for me”) I did hanker after a Nikon DSLR (a backward step in one way as I gone to the Bridge Cameras to get away from lens changing). I researched them (thanks Google!) and decided that the D3300 was the one for me. It was only when I was taking the first tentative steps with it that the proverbial “penny dropped” and I realised that it was a viewfinder camera rather than mostly via the LCD screen. Obviously my research wasn’t as good as I thought! I didn’t like it and put it away, and went back to the Lumix. After about 3 months I decided to sell the Nikon - but gave it one last try. I was bowled-over with the results - one of them ended up as “Photo of the Month” on here! I then got a zoom lens (Nikor 55-200mm) which has become my main lens on the camera.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:53 am

When I was younger I liked photography a lot more and so I took charge of my uncles cast off which was an Olympus with about four or five lenses (can't quite remember all the details) M 10 or something but never mind, fiddly putting the film in and I even had a black bag to do this in (uncle said it was best) I had some really great pictures from that and then one day I was relieved of it by someone who thought it best to do so!
A long time past before I even went near another camera and that was a "disc" which although was OK as it could fit in a pocket the images were on the bottom run of average, I then went to a Kodak instamatic which was better then to another Kodak (a trade up) which I still have CX7430 and as a bonus I also got a Kodak P750 bridge both I still have and both do get used now and again. I do have a Canon 350D which I point click and delete :lol: I am thinking of getting another lens though time is hard to find and to be honest I lost a lot of interest in cameras when the Olympus equipment was stolen.
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:24 pm

One of my other cameras (!) is the Canon Ixus 275 HS http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product ... us_275_hs/ and weighs in @ Approx. 147 g (including battery and memory card) so I've always got a camera with me. Someone on here mentioned they always have a camera with them - their Smartphone. I tried to buy one but apparently I'm not Smart enough and so I can't get a Smart car either! :lol:
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:21 pm

My daughter told me that I don't have a 'smart phone' it's an android not like her iPhone which has spent more time at the Apple shop than it has in her hand I think
Apple the smart phone people who get you to pay for a thing you don't get to use :lol:
Steven Covey

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:07 pm

This was taken on the Ixus - but it's a "still" taken from a video (which runs for 5 seconds!) I took this afternoon!
Attachments
MoviePic_07.jpg
MoviePic_07.jpg (81.77 KiB) Viewed 887 times

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun May 01, 2016 1:21 pm

So how did you do that ? IE what software did you use to capture the still from the movie
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun May 01, 2016 2:43 pm

You don't need any sophisticated software to do that nikkai. You can just pause the movie and take a screen clip with the software on your computer. I'm not saying Trigger did it that way but that is the simplest way. Also some cameras let you capture stills whilst shooting the movie as my current Sony one does.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun May 01, 2016 2:57 pm

nikkai wrote:So how did you do that ? IE what software did you use to capture the still from the movie
There’s a number of ways as has been said - I use Picasa for saving my pix from memory card. Any videos I initially view in that program - you can stop it whenever and, second “bar” down is marked “Take Snapshot”, and . . . voila!
Attachments
Snapshot_07.jpg
Snapshot_07.jpg (40.02 KiB) Viewed 880 times

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun May 01, 2016 4:20 pm

Ah I see said the blind man !
I have been using the generic image display program or I have Coral something or other but as you can tell I rarely delve into that. Oh and then there is NERO which is with the P755 Toshiba again I know its there but as yet I haven't had time to look into how it gets started :Muck hit fan:
One day I will maybe I think if I re err um what was it we were um Oh never mind I wish I could remember getting Alpiners
Steven Covey