The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Nostalgia Thread -Old Lowestoft

This forum contains some of the topics from 2010 to 2015 which are now 'Read Only' so cannot be posted in but still remain accessible to all members. Where appropriate, new topics of the same name have been created in the main forum.
funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Re: Nostalgia Thread -Old Lowestoft

Post by funkychick » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:38 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Sparrows nest theatre watched many a show there and performed on the stage with a dancing school The smaller flat roofed building to the right was a bar
Attachments
Image (27).jpg
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Post by Mel » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:15 am

funkychick wrote:Sparrows nest theatre watched many a show there....
The last performance I watched there was 'Steeleye Span' on the night of the hurricane in 1987...the roof was leaking during the show and they had buckets on the stage catching the drips, it was certainly a night to remember :)
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:46 am

Mel wrote:
............. it was certainly a night to remember :)
Also the title of a book by Walter Lord and of a well know B&W film starring Kenneth More about the sinking of the Titanic, Mel.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat May 28, 2016 9:53 pm

It's a long time since anything was posted in this thread so decided to post this here. I took this picture this evening of a display board in one of the shelters on the Promenade and thought it would be of interest, particularly to those who no longer live close to Lowestoft.

Whilst you cannot read it as it appears on this page, if you click on the image and view it at full resolution - 5361 x 2930 pixels most of the text can be read.
Attachments
South Beach.jpg

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:29 pm

boatbuilder wrote:It's a long time since anything was posted in this thread so decided to post this here. I took this picture this evening of a display board in one of the shelters on the Promenade and thought it would be of interest, particularly to those who no longer live close to Lowestoft.

Whilst you cannot read it as it appears on this page, if you click on the image and view it at full resolution - 5361 x 2930 pixels most of the text can be read.
Very interesting BB. I don't know if the "Woodrow" mentioned became Alderman Woodrow who was the man my old secondary school was named after before it changed to Kirkley High and whatever it is now. The old folk probably still call it Notley Road school.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:10 pm

It's now 'East Point Academy' Frankie.

You really ARE playing 'catchup' aren't you?

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:52 am

It was Alderman Woodrow when I went there in the late 50's early 60's .Do n"t think much of the "East Point Academy"as a name, renaming Denes High that as it's nearer East Point would have better....... :?

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:15 pm

This academy thing seems a bit pointless and a waste of money to me. If the school is in a bad way then it needs a new head to turn it around not a new name and coat of paint. I think AWS probably didn't have a very good reputation at the end of your attendance there Kerch and it was run by Mr Duane I believe. My older sister was sent to the Harris rather than there but two years later Mr Scott had taken over and turned it around so I was sent there in 64.There were plenty of canings by Mr Scott but more so his deputy Mr Renaut but that was probably part of the process. There were many heavy-handed male teachers there at the time but I think they quite enjoyed the punishments they dished out which was another matter.
It's grim up North...

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:12 pm

While I was there the year I was in was the last year that girls and boys were seperate and Miss Daniels was the headmistress.I think that mr Scott arrived when I was in year3 but can't be 100% sure. :?

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:26 pm

Miss Daniels was still there when I started but I can't remember her capacity. Maybe Duane (if that is how you spell it) was the head of the boys. Apparently boys just used to walk into his office and sit on his desk. Miss Daniels was nice as I recall. The school was mixed but the playgrounds were separated (virtually) and each sex went through their own door only to be reunited when they arrived at their class. I don't know about the girls but we had line up in our respective years to be "inspected" by the prefects before we were allowed in, prefects could also issue lines and detentions.
It's grim up North...