The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

The New 'Cold War'

A place to discuss and debate specific subjects
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

The New 'Cold War'

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:07 am

With the diplomatic relationship between the UK and Russia seemingly getting worse day by day, following the alleged assassination attempt by the Russian state on Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia, and now the 'tit-for-tat' expulsion of diplomats by Russia, in retaliation for the UK government's action, the Sunday Papers are now reporting that intelligence chiefs have warned power firms to boost security amid fears of a Moscow-orchestrated cyber-attack.

How far do you think this 'stand-off' between our two nations can go, and who do you think is responsible for the initial action that sparked the whole thing off?

Myself, I don't think there is any doubt that the UK government's accusations have substance as all the indications point in that direction. And now there are other Russians who have been murdered and the Czech Republic is also being drawn into the argument by Russia. (Trying to divert attention away from themselves?)

What do you think? Who else could be responsible if not Russia?
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The New 'Cold War'

Post by Mel » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:34 am

boatbuilder wrote:How far do you think this 'stand-off' between our two nations can go, and who do you think is responsible for the initial action that sparked the whole thing off?
I don't know for definite who used the nerve gas in Salisbury but I will go along with our Government and the French, German and American Governments and lay the blame at the door of Putin. How far the 'stand-off' goes is up in the air but I am glad we are standing up against the bullying Putin.
My Flickr pictures look here

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:39 am

Have just seen this latest report on BBC News site:

‘Russia spy row: UK lab could be poison source, says ambassador'
Quote: “Vladimir Chizhov told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show Russia had "nothing to do" with the poisoning in Salisbury of Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia. He said Russia did not stockpile the poison and that the Porton Down lab was only eight miles (12km) from the city.”
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43446312 includes video.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:19 pm

I'm with Corbyn on this; we should find out for sure before we start laying the blame. At least the international tech guys are finally on board with the investigation.

Personally I think this is a bit of a distraction. The real Cold War is happening between the West and China, on several fronts. Currency is a big one, as is the trade deficit allegations and issues. More will come, watch this space!

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:02 am

Interesting (and long!) article from the Washington Post:

Poisoning of Russian ex-spy puts spotlight on Moscow’s secret military labs

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 3a5e2af3e3
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:23 am

Trigger wrote:Interesting (and long!) article from the Washington Post:

Poisoning of Russian ex-spy puts spotlight on Moscow’s secret military labs

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 3a5e2af3e3
For easier reading (no images though) here is the above article, which you can download, in PDF format (6 pages).
Washington Post.pdf
(353.11 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget