The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 13th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 21st March 2024 at 5:07pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Should The Sale Of Fireworks To The Public Be Banned?

A place to discuss and debate specific subjects
Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Male/Female: Male

Should The Sale Of Fireworks To The Public Be Banned?

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:47 am

Is it time to ban the sale of fireworks to the public? This quote is from ‘The Shield Safety Group’ website and says it all for me.

Over the past few years, statistics have shown that not everyone ends the night safe and sound; for many, it ends in injuries, burns and lifelong scars. Around 1,000 people visit A&E for treatment of a firework-related injury in the four weeks around Bonfire Night, with half of the injuries being suffered by under-18s.’

http://shieldsafety.co.uk/blog/remember ... -november/

The extra strain on the Fire Brigade and Hospitals shouldn’t happen. Why not ban fireworks from general sale and have more firework displays run by professionals that everyone can watch and enjoy safely. I don’t want to be a killjoy, I enjoyed Bonfire Night as a child as much as anyone, but 1,000 people injured, is it worth it? Here’s another quote from the same website.

‘A sparkler burns at the equivalent rate to a welding torch so standing in a busy, overcrowded area with these burning rods is a disaster waiting to happen.’

That’s just a sparkler not one of the more explosive fireworks you can buy. Here’s another link that shows the dangers of fireworks being accessible to children.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... lancashire

Should we ban them or not?
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Should The Sale Of Fireworks To The Public Be Banned?

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:11 pm

I am inclined to go along with the ban, Dave. The 'statistics' go back much much further than what is quoted - 'the last few years'.
I can recall a particular incident the early 1960's when a friend of my sister, who was about 17 at the time, had a firework deliberately pushed down the front of her top when she was stood watching a bonfire. If it hadn't been for the quick-thinking of a man stood close by who placed his hand over the collar of her blouse, or whatever she was wearing, to hold it closed it is quite possible she could have lost her sight when the banger exploded. Naturally she suffered severe burns to her chest area but it could have been worse.

Couple this with the fact that so many people seem to forget that Bonfire night is the 5th of November and not a week either side of that date.
Our cat went out about 6-pm last night and came rushing back in through the cat-flap about 5 minutes later when somebody started setting fireworks off close by, and which went on for about half an hour.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:08 pm

For me a professional display wins every time ,it's very rare for anything to go wrong,plus the fireworks are much better than anything sold over the counter.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:29 pm

I agree - especially after reading news stories like these:

Grangetown firework youths 'attack Cardiff fire crew'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-37842935

Fire crew attacks 'mar' Bonfire Night
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-37888161
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:22 pm

I've heard some horror stories about animals being harmed by fireworks for the fun of it. Probably by people like the morons who attacked the fire crew. As you say, kerch, a professional display wins hands down, you really do get more bangs for your buck.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:58 pm

I would ban them as they are pyrotechnic IE: EXPLOSIVES and for a "joe blogs" to be allowed to own a large amount of the stuff is just madness in my opinion.
You need a licence to own a firearm but do not for an item which explodes many times from one ignition ?
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:15 pm

And to own a large amount whilst lighting a bonfire, nikkai, an accident waiting to happen.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:32 am

Definitely a ban gone are the days when dad set off half a dozen in the back garden now they can be blooming lethal, huge, great balls of whizzing fire Each town should have a big display when my kids were young we always went to the Fire station for a display Safest place for one
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:42 pm

A few Bangers, Jumping Jacks, Roman Candles, Rockets and Catherine Wheels were our Firework Night entertainment. The cost of those together probably wouldn't buy one of todays fireworks. Have a look at the link below.

https://epicfireworks.com/

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:45 pm

Buying fireworks on internet MADNESS.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:49 pm

I agree, kerch. Money to burn - literally! mad!

And, with respect to the man, I can just see Prof. Stephen Hawking setting off fireworks!
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:08 pm

I'm sure many of you saw the Mexican Firework Market fire/explosion on the news recently. If you didn't click the link below to see what happens when they aren't treated with respect. I believe there were 29 dead and 70 injured, this was not the first such incident, it happened in 2005 and 2006 as well.

http://news.sky.com/video/the-mexico-fi ... r-10703826