The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

E-books versus Paper Books - What do you prefer?

A place to discuss and debate specific subjects
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

E-books versus Paper Books - What do you prefer?

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:01 pm

Today the Publishers Association has announced that although book sales in the past year have risen by 6%, (7% including journals) the sale of e-books has fallen by 3%.

If you are a book reader, which medium do you prefer when it comes to reading books - digital or paper - and why?
Myself, I am quite happy to purchase fiction and non-fiction books in digital format mainly for one reason - SPACE. I have lots of paper books, hardback and paperback, from the days before digital and these take up an enormous amount of shelf space. If the number of digital books I have bought were to require 'space' then I would probably need to build an extra room. :D However, some non-fiction books don't lend themselves to digital, particularly if they are widely illustrated with diagrams or images and I would still buy those books in paper.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: E-books versus Paper Books - What do you prefer?

Post by Mel » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:11 pm

I am quite happy using either. I tend to buy fiction on my Kindle; like Boatbuilder because it is a space saver and because I find it easier to use when reading in bed or travelling. I will still buy paperbacks or hardbacks in charity shops if I come across one that I wish to read or re-read and then just take it back to the shop when read.

Reference books with diagrams and photos etc. I will still buy in the paper form.
My Flickr pictures look here

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:46 pm

There's just something about the feel of a book, that makes it better to read. I have far too many books, but hate the idea of parting with any. I also have around 200 eBooks on my devices, plus 6,000 eBooks that form the basic stock for my eBook online store. Apart from those 6,000, most of my eBooks are the free ones offered each week by Amazon as their promotional enticements. From memory, I think I only ever paid for one eBook, and that was one that my ex wrote based on ghost stories around Beccles.

It's a similar argument to that about vinyl vs CD vs MP3.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:49 pm

I use both too love the iPad for travelling but also like charity shop books
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Aussie K » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:30 pm

I was once a reader of books mostly paper but digital at times when I would let my imagination run away with itself, but at my senior age coupled up with my enormous work load I cannot maintain the concentration to comfortably enjoy reading. I do find it easier to read a News paper which I still buy daily. That gets half read, most if not all of it can be found on the internet. For me it is easier to sit and relax with a paper than struggle with a computer. So what with the news on telly. the times newspaper, my small input in Mylowestoft, the gardening, cooking, cleaning and the caring role for my wife books now are out.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:19 pm

Paper every time, wandering around a bookshop looking at the new releases is something I never get tired of. I still get a buzz from looking at the covers, a bit like a kid looking at the wrapping paper on a present. Being dragged out of the bookshop, kicking and screaming, by SWMBO to go to Tesco's, happy days. ;) :D
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:37 pm

Aussie K wrote:I was once a reader of books mostly paper but digital at times when I would let my imagination run away with itself, but at my senior age coupled up with my enormous work load I cannot maintain the concentration to comfortably enjoy reading. I do find it easier to read a News paper which I still buy daily. That gets half read, most if not all of it can be found on the internet. For me it is easier to sit and relax with a paper than struggle with a computer. So what with the news on telly. the times newspaper, my small input in Mylowestoft, the gardening, cooking, cleaning and the caring role for my wife books now are out.
Of course you could always opt for audio books which can be quite good and you could be listening to those whilst doing some of your daily tasks, Aussie. I am just coming to the end of a three month trial with Audible.com (part of Amazon) and have had three free 'books' from them. I have just finished listening to a 14-hour book, in my case mostly in bed at night for an hour or so with the headphones. I must admit though that next day I might have had to 're-wind' a bit if I have nodded off and missed a few minutes. :D The next book on my 'listening list' is one of Peter Robinson's 'DCI Banks' novels which is 16-hours.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:14 am

Aussie I can relate to what you are saying although I ve been a lifelong BIG reader, over the last few years I ve found my concentration levels dimininishing I think it's difficult eyes too, I have thought about your method BB but find I drift off too easily to the spoken word even in the daytime My daughter just bought me some short stories to see if that helped
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:36 am

I have a Kindle ,bought it because I was spending a lot of time in Doctors waiting rooms and reading matter there was well handled by all and sundry .Did n't look very hygenic.

I prefer books but now only buy non-fiction due to lack of space.Fiction goes on my Kindle .

Cowper
Male/Female: Female

Post by Cowper » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:10 am

I'm also a Kindle reader, for the last 5/6 years, and as someone else said, they're perfect for taking away on holiday because you can take a whole library with you in one very slim device. But I don't think it needs to be either/or. I still read print books and love browsing around charity shops for books. And I'm also really pleased that print book sales are up and e-readers are down, because at one stage it looked like e-readers would take over completely and print books would vanish from the face of the earth. A world without print books and book shops would be a much poorer place. Also, reading story books to young children is a magical experience that can only happen with print books with lovely pictures in them, because for kids the pictures are just as important as the words, and you just don't get that with a Kindle.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:57 am

Cowper wrote:A world without print books and book shops would be a much poorer place. Also, reading story books to young children is a magical experience that can only happen with print books with lovely pictures in them, because for kids the pictures are just as important as the words, and you just don't get that with a Kindle.
I couldn't agree more, Cowper. :high5:
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.