The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Is this really the era of free speech?

A place to discuss and debate specific subjects
SL-Dave

Is this really the era of free speech?

Post by SL-Dave » Thu May 04, 2017 9:48 pm

We live in a world where free speech is facilitated like never before, dont we? A world where the Internet and social media makes it possible for anyone to have a voice - no matter what their race, sex, age or social status. But could it be that in reality the opposite is happening? That free speech is fine - as long as it conforms to whatever the popular view is on that particular channel? Which isn’t free speech at all.
All too often it appears to be no longer acceptable to some that another person holds a differing opinion. Instead of reasoned and healthy debate over issues, the conversation soon becomes rude, unpleasant and at times downright nasty. This is regularly the case on social media, in particular Facebook. And from that, what often happens is mob mentality takes over and several people will wade in with personal and upsetting comments, just because they don’t like what has been said. The big problem with all this is that before long people will start to be afraid to air their opinions for fear someone else might take offence and it might turn ugly. That’s when free speech will again be impacted.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/features/is-this ... -1-5002887

I am passionate about this, as someone who has had a few troubles in the past over my own particular views - as some people on here and on LowestoftOnline may remember! I believe we should all be able to express ourselves without fear of censorship... as long as we also consider other people and respect the opinions of others. My own view, taken from someone else's whose name I cannot remember, is that I may disagree with someone's views but I will fight with all my strength for their right to express it.

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Is this really the era of free speech?

Post by Aussie K » Fri May 05, 2017 12:36 am

You are so right Sl-Dave and very eloquently put, it happens in our forum and in all debating chambers. I enjoy strong debaters no matter from whatever political points of view that they might have. What annoy's me more than any thing is when people speak with venom in there tone of speech, one being on question time this evening and many have come to the for over Brexit.
Jeremy Corbin & Nigel Far age are two men who have suffered from massive insullts and yet both in there own way are very eloquent and are powerful debaters and yet they suffer from venomous opponents over there points of view, and I have to say it doesn't make much sense to me why there have to be this hatefulness.