The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Learner Drivers to be allowed on Motorways - with a qualified Instructor.

A place to discuss and debate specific subjects
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Learner Drivers to be allowed on Motorways - with a qualified Instructor.

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:48 am

It has been announced that from 2018 learner drivers will be allowed to drive on motorways accompanied by a qualified driving instructor.

More details HERE

What was your first experience of driving an a motorway and how did you find the experience?

My first experience happened to be the day after I passed my driving test which was on the 30th April 1965. The following day just happened to be the day of the Liverpool v Leeds FA Cup Final for which I had a ticket and I was being taken to London by my older sister and her fiancé in his car, a Ford Anglia, which was the same model of car I'd had my lessons and taken my test in. I was given the opportunity to drive a stretch of the M6 motorway on the journey down there. To me at the time, it felt safer than driving on ordinary dual carriageways and I found the experience enjoyable as well as being memorable.

Of course it must be remembered that this was 1965 and the motorways were still in their infancy in this country, were few and far between and carried only a fraction of the traffic they do today. However, I'm not sure I would feel the same today if I were a 17-year-old going through the same experience on today's motorways.

One thought about this forthcoming change. A learner driver living in this area will have to travel about 90 miles or so to be able to gain the experience of driving on a motorway so it could be an expensive disadvantage as they would need maybe four hours or more of a driving instructors time to make the round trip and have some experience on the motorway when they get there. :|
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget