The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Modern Cars - Headlights Dazzling Issue.

A place to discuss and debate specific subjects
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Modern Cars - Headlights Dazzling Issue.

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:09 pm

The following linked news report suggests that the technology now being used for headlights on modern cars is creating a hazard for other road users.

In recent years I have also found this a problem with night driving but from my own point of view thought that maybe it was due to the fact that I have cataracts, which hopefully will be sorted out in the coming months, as I have an initial appointment with the eye clinic this next week. Having read this report, I believe that my cataracts might not now be the reason behind this problem.

Has anybody else thought the same as me when driving at night, that many headlights seem to dazzle more now than they did several years ago?

RAC says new headlights blinding drivers
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Modern Cars - Headlights Dazzling Issue.

Post by nikkai » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:41 pm

I agree that the light are now brighter than they were of years gone by, I drive one of the cars with the new HID lights and LED side lights, I would not say that the new ones dazzle too much UNLESS they are either set to the wrong level or left on main beam!
You should find a small switch in modern cars that can alter the aim of the head light so that when the rear is laden the lights can be aimed down slightly, THE biggest issue I find is vehicles with only one head light working. I have spent the last three years driving in darkness to and from work.
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Modern Cars - Headlights Dazzling Issue.

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:37 pm

If I have my car set for the lights to come on automatically as it gets dark, which I have,, then I can't even use the full beam with the 'stick' on the column, apart from the ability to flash them' as they are also automatically set to come on only where circumstances require and permit it. The main beam will only automatically activate on unlit roads AND when there are no approaching vehicles that would be dazzled. Of course I can over-ride that by putting the lights into 'manual' mode which I have never found the need to. I've also never found the need to use the adjusting wheel to lower the beam in my current car as I've never driven at night with the car laden at the rear.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget