The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Plastic Bottles and Can Recycling

A place to discuss and debate specific subjects
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Plastic Bottles and Can Recycling

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:03 pm

With the proposals having been announced to introduce a 'deposit' scheme on plastic bottles and aluminium and steel cans, how do you see this working out in the UK?

Whilst I don't dispose of any of these items in any way other than in my recycling bin, and my glass bottles and jars in the local 'bottle bank', I can now see us having to take bag loads of empty plastic bottles and cans back to the supermarkets when we do our weekly shop which will mean our blue bins will probably now only contain mainly cardboard and paper.

Of course it is early days yet and these are just my initial thoughts which may well change as things progress. However, one way or another, I can see all the additional costs of implementing and running it being laid at the feet of 'us' the consumer, as these things usually are.

It brings back memories of my childhood days when we used to take empty jam jars to our local scrap merchant who paid us a halfpenny for 1-lb jars and a penny for the 2-lb ones. :D

Have you any thoughts on how this might work out?

Drinks bottles and can deposit return scheme proposed
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Re: Plastic Bottles and Can Recycling

Post by kerch » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:23 pm

We have sets three re-cycling dotted around the village ,one for glass ,one for paper and one for plastic and tins if the practice comes common may be more people will re-cycle.But I can't see it happening people are still putting re-cycleable objects in the normal bins .

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Plastic Bottles and Can Recycling

Post by Mel » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:34 pm

I think the deposit scheme is a good idea. Any schemes to reduce the amount of litter that infests our towns and mar the look of our countryside is OK by me. Although I still find it hard to believe that with the amount of litter bins, recycling points and household bins there are, people still have to litter towns and countryside with their rubbish.
My Flickr pictures look here