The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

'Proud to be English' - Are YOU? - Poll.

A place to discuss and debate specific subjects

Are you proud or embarrassed to be English? Please give your response within your age group.

Poll ended at Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:00 pm

18-24 years - PROUD
No votes
18-24 years - EMBARRASSED
No votes
18-24 years - Neither PROUD nor EMBARRASED
No votes
25-49 years - PROUD
No votes
25-49 years - EMBARRASSED
No votes
25-49 years - Neither PROUD nor EMBARRASED
13%
50-64 years - PROUD
25%
50-64 years - EMBARRASSED
13%
50-64 years - Neither PROUD nor EMBARRASED
No votes
65+ years - PROUD
50%
65+ years - EMBARRASSED
No votes
65+ years - Neither PROUD nor EMBARRASED
No votes

Total votes: 8

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

'Proud to be English' - Are YOU? - Poll.

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:00 pm

A recent YouGov Survey found that the young are less proud to be English than the older generation.

Below are two images which show the overall findings of this and the findings of the people in Waveney.

However, I wonder how many people (if any) on the forum were invited to take part in the survey?

Just for fun, I thought it would be interesting to conduct one on here using the same age-bands as reported in the graph image. Of course it wouldn't be possible to conduct it in as much detail as shown in the 'Waveney' image so it is just one simple question:

Are you Proud or Embarrassed to be English?

Please take part with a simple answer against either 'Yes', 'No' or 'Neither' within your own age group in the poll at the top of the page.

If you want to make any additional comments then feel free to do so below. If you want to state your age group from those listed in the poll at the same time, then that is entirely up to you.

Finally, don't worry if you don't live in Waveney you can still take part but I guess you really need to be English. :StGeorge:

The poll will remain open until the end of June.
YouGov Graph.JPG
Waveney YouGov.JPG
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Abu Nuwas
Male/Female: Male

Re: 'Proud to be English' - Are YOU? - Poll.

Post by Abu Nuwas » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:28 pm

I answered 'proud'. but, in truth, the fact is, I am English. I see the ghosts, and hear the echoes of my ancestors everywhere - Bloodmoor, here, or in London, say, wandering along Smithfield to my daughter who lives at Barbican, I always imagine the bumbling poet Chaucer, who had been given the job of putting on the jousting there, and the knights flying down that road. This is also the country which, at one time, is said to have produced one-half of the manufactures in the world. It also facilitated a vast range of people (including many C of E clergy) in advances in science and technology. Then there are one or two writers, apart from Chaucer. Perhaps, we are a bit weak on the classical music front, despite Britten and Elgar-- we cannot possibly compare with all those Germans! What other nation has invented so many sports?

However, when I have been abroad, e.g. when I had a flat in Boulogne, I would get well into the whole bit -- their footie, FOOD, more food, the history of the place, including Boney preparing to invade from there. And who would not be proud to be Italian? I can't think of another country which has qualms about its flag. Maybe it's rather endearing, like the BBC churning out revisionist history.
Consistency is the hob-goblin of the small mind