The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Obscene or what?

A place to discuss and debate specific subjects
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Obscene or what?

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:35 am

From the front page of today's 'Guardian'. What do you think?....
Screenshot (943).jpg
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Obscene or what?

Post by Mel » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:06 am

I imagine her taxes has paid for a few nurses. Unless she is a tax exile that is. If not, if she has worked hard and taken the risk in building up the company good luck to her. We don't bat an eyelid now at footballers earning £500,000 a week; actors getting millions of pounds a movie.
Personally I don't believe anyone is worth that sort of money, business people, footballers or actors...but if that is the going rate for the job, so be it, but no I don't think it is obscene.
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:00 am

I’d like to know how much she has given to charities. I’ve just read an article in the Liverpool Echo about Ken Dodd who left over £27 million to charities in Liverpool.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... 74abcff305
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:10 pm

From what I read about her yesterday, she has a foundation set up that donates an awful lot to charitable causes each year. She has also been given both an MBE and OBE; not for her job but for her charitable work. She earns a lot, but gives a lot away, apparently. Also, the company itself was one of the few companies in the UK to keep on paying staff their full wage throughout the past year, refusing to use government funds or put people on furlough. The company appears not to have much debt if any, building up a cash surplus in order to tide them over if anything happens, such as Covid. Her and her husband were also subject to a serious robbery last year (I think), where her MBE and OBE awards were stolen and they were tied up in their bathroom overnight. Not only is she the boss, but she is the founder, she started the business from scratch and over the past 20 years has expanded overseas.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:29 pm

The Denise Coates Foundation handed out £85million in charitable donations last year and the company and family paid £615million to the Exchequer last year also.
My Flickr pictures look here