The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Using the 'Active Topics' link.

This board is set up to offer tips for members old and new to help navigate around the site and do other things on it. Anyone with a useful tip can post it here but only ONE TIP per topic please so if members have a query about it they can raise a question without having to refer to a particular tip. Please make the topic's name the subject of the tip.

Did you find this hint useful?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 4

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Using the 'Active Topics' link.

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:04 pm

At the top right of the banner picture is the link 'Active topics'. When this link is clicked a page opens that shows all the topics that have attracted posts within the past 7 days. There may be more than one page of these which will be indicated just above or below the list. The default setting is to show those topics active in the past 7 days but you can change this on each visit by using the drop-down list at the foot of the page to go from 1 day- up to 1 year. (see images). This is only a one-off change for the current visit to the 'Active topics' list and when you either leave the page or it is closed, it will reset itself to 7 days.

This can be useful if you have previously used the 'Unread posts' link and not read all those posts you intended to on that particular visit to the forum, and you logged out of the forum at the end of that visit. Whilst it won't indicate the posts you hadn't read when you logged out, it will serve as a reminder of the topics that might be of interest. If you don't log out, your unread posts list will retain those you never read for next time you visit the forum.

Please indicate above if you found this hint useful.
Active Topics.JPG
Active Topics.JPG (12.1 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
Active Drop-down.JPG
Active Drop-down.JPG (17.04 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Using the 'Active Topics' link.

Post by nikkai » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:20 am

I find it is easiest for me
But as most know I weird :D
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:54 pm

nikkai wrote:But as most know I weird :D
Me must be weird too Nikkai as I always use the Active Topics dancer1
My Flickr pictures look here

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:59 pm

I tend the use the Unread button although it does show some really old topics which I didn't participate in at the time.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Nikkai & Mel, if you use the 'active topics' link how do you know which is the first (oldest) topic you haven't read? You must have to remember every time you go on the forum, where you were up to the last time you finished on it. The only time I use the 'active' link is if I want to locate a topic quickly that I know has more than likely been used in the last 7 days as it saves going to the Forum Index and remembering which sub-category it is under and then searching down that. If I just want to read the 'unread' then the ''unread' link is the quickest link to use.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:47 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Nikkai & Mel, if you use the 'active topics' link how do you know which is the first (oldest) topic you haven't read?
I don't know Boatbuilder, I just click on the Active Topics button, start at the top and work my way down until I reach a point which I have read before...if that makes sense :think:
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:08 pm

Yes, it makes sense Mel, but at least the other way you can see at a glance how many you haven't read as when you go back to the 'unread' list after viewing each post the list gets shorter, whereas the other one doesn't and the topics you have just read are still showing. Also, if you use the 'Active' topics it always goes to the most recent post whereas if you use the 'Unread' and use the icon on the left as I described in the other topic in this board, you go to the first unread post which might be on an earlier page than the most recent one which might have half a dozen posts before it which you may not have read. Now does that make sense to you? :huh:

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Like Mel I go to the Active and scroll down, this is where my use changes as I look to the date and or time of the last post then starting from that post I travel up the list (I am set to see the last at the top type setting) IF I want to miss a posting in that list then I scroll to the next interesting post and continue in my normal way until |I return to the Active topics and scroll to the LAST known (I did not want to read) post and continue until I am at MY OWN posts.
Now if there is a posting which is NOT mine in the top postings I know some one has then replied to one I had and so I read or I pop off to other venues.
When I click on a topics header I get taken to the last post in that thread, which is good for me and IF I do not recognise this then I look back within the thread to the last 'remembered posting'
As I visit most days I seem to have been OK in using the board this way though I will now say that the increase of members and that of topics and postings I may (MAY) have to rethink the way I travers through the topic and threads here therein :P
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:42 pm

I must say, I hope our new members don't read your explanation nikkai as I am totally confused so I don't know what they will be. :lol: Sorry!

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:13 pm

:lol: See it works for me and .... well why fix it if it aint broke! :lol:
Steven Covey