The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 13th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 21st March 2024 at 5:07pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Siri

Members can post useful, non-forum related, information and tips here.
MyLowestoft.com does not accept responsibility for the validity of any information posted within this board.

seagull
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: female

Siri

Post by seagull » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Be careful what you say to Siri or you end up with all emergency services one of the words is monky repeated.then ask it the meaning of life and a kiss it goes into melt down

SNiBet
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Siri

Post by SNiBet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:07 am

So Siri has her own emergency services coded messages or she understands ones in real life.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:54 am

I don't think so, must be a late April fool
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

seagull
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by seagull » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Something like that fc.When phone can tell me meaning of life one has to be impressed and no phone done that to me as yet There apparently quite few hacks if you go into youtube look up siri hacks you see...I really don't want try them incase all the emergency service turn up just incase it do work
If turning ipod 4 in different directions then you have to wonder do siri know meaning of life can it give me a kiss or go into meltdown.ALL VALID QUESTIONS.But accept I really bord unable get out so either siri or me gone loopy.
Sometimes nothing better to do I go on youtube usually it be David bowi music or tips on sleeping or shopping and I follow a lead see where tips on sleeping and david bowie going to lead me and ended up on hack for siri.Youtube good place find different hacks for playing with grandchildren or diy

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Well I guess David Bowie will lead you to the pearly gates
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:35 am

If you have one of these voice activated gadgets like the Amazon Alexa or Apple Siri does it mean that someone somewhere in Googleland or Appleland can record your personal conversations if you have the 'voice assistant' switched on all the time?
My Flickr pictures look here

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:57 am

Mel wrote:If you have one of these voice activated gadgets like the Amazon Alexa or Apple Siri does it mean that someone somewhere in Googleland or Appleland can record your personal conversations if you have the 'voice assistant' switched on all the time?
I am sure that they have the ability to, but I am not too sure they would be interested in any conversations between me and my wife
I before E except after C - That's weird

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Or myself and the various nuts behind the wheels of tractors.
having voice assistant is a help when your hands are full to brimming with either oily mess or pig mess or in MOST cases BOTH and you (well me) just don't want to actually handle the phone :lol:
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Our latest car has voice control for the entire media system which is activated by just clicking a button with your thumb on one of the arms (spokes) of the steering wheel. It then talks to me and asks what I want to do from selecting music from my USB stick, radio stations, making a phone call or inputting a destination on the sat nav - all by voice recognition.

I wonder if it stores everything I do that the manufacturer or dealer would be able to access when they connect their computer up to the car when it is being serviced. :think:
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:38 pm

The small print of all of the voice activated systems - mainly ruled by Amazon, Google and Apple - state that they have the right to store your data for a limited period of time in order to enhance their service. The data does need to be collated, as this is how voice recognition works; we're not quite at the stage of real-time understanding. However, the problem lies not with the company itself, but the government of the country the data is stored in. America and European countries are now both stating that data must be stored for possible future use in legal action, from memory I think the period is 1-2 years. Despite companies stating - sometimes - that your data is safe and secure, this does not negate the possibility of legal action against the company itself in order to retrieve your data.

The argument goes that if you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to fear. I disagree, as many people have been wrongly convicted over the years of crimes they did not commit. And technology can always be subverted; with facial recognition sensors now being fooled by photos of people's faces, it is also quite possible for Alexa, Now and Siri to be fooled with a recording of someone's voice. These and other issues were in the news recently with a Burger King advert; they had a TV and online video that made voice assistants recite from the Burger King Wikipedia page, but somehow forgot that Wikipedia could be changed - which it was.

This is why I do not trust voice activation systems.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:49 pm

I don't think I'd want to use any voice activation system where there is any connection with financial issues such as banking or online purchasing from a website. The voice activation I referred to in my previous post recognises any voice for the instructions and is not person-specific.
I read the Burger King item earlier today on the BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39589013
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:36 pm

Just occurred to me how pop stars could have some 'fun' incorporating certain lyrics into their tracks. "Siri, let's break now from each other"... as the car brakes suddenly when this song comes on the radio. Or something similar....

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:40 am

Voice recognition systems are ok now if your accent is neutral but they still have and always will have trouble with regional accents. This is why most successful industrially used voice systems use "trained voice" systems where the system is "trained" to understand the few words required to be spoken by each user.
It's grim up North...

seagull
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by seagull » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:03 pm

Oh shoot I forgot April fools day taken in by that one,but the moving on iPod 4 was on a consumer programme last week.
Myself don't use Siri find it irritating.just one more query I used get on this site from google for some reason needs safari I mean if I kept trying proberly would but don't want waste time.is there a reason or is it the user.

seagull
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by seagull » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:09 pm

FC hope David bowie is by pearly gates can hear everything he done ok some maybe through gritted teeth.far to many by pearly gates last year