- Site Administrator
- Posts: 24735
- Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 16:36
- Male/Female: Male
- Location: Carlton Colville - Lowestoft
Work to replace the lifting mechanisms on Lowestoft’s Bascule Bridge will be carried out overnight for the next month.
The work started last night, January 29, and the bridge will be closed overnight on weeknights until Monday, February 26 from 8pm to 6am.
The lifting mechanisms on the 45-year-old bridge are being replaced by Highways England, with the work being carried out in various phases to minimise the traffic disruption.
Highways England service delivery manager Ajith Nair said: “The Bascule Bridge is a crucial part of the A47, which is a key road for not just East Anglia, but for Britain too, with up to 13,600 drivers crossing the bridge every day at peak times. The bridge also provides access to the Lowestoft Port, making it a key commercial spot for Lowestoft.
“This essential maintenance work will ensure that the bridge remains in serviceable condition to the public and continue to serve the local community for many more years.
“We are working hard to keep disruption from the inspection to a minimum, and a significant amount of work goes into maintaining the A47 and keeping this iconic bridge operating day in, day out.”
While the bridge is closed, a series of diversion routes will be in place:
• National traffic heading north will take the A1117 Bloodmoor Road, then at the A1117 Bloodmoor Road roundabout continue on the A1117 (Bloodmoor Road, Elmtree Road, Cotmer Road) to its junction with the A146 Bridge Road, then turn left onto the A1117 Bridge Road, continue on the A1117 (Normanston Drive, Peto Way, Millennium Way, Bentley Drive) and re-join the A47 Yarmouth Road. Drivers heading southbound will follow this diversion route in reverse.
• Local traffic travelling northbound will be diverted off the A47 London Road onto the A146 Pier Terrace continuing along Horn Hill, Waveney Drive and Victoria Road, turning right to join the A1117 and cross the bridge, continuing to follow the A1117 Normanston Drive to the roundabout with Peto Way, turning right to Peto Way and continuing at the next roundabout to follow Denmark Road to join the A47 Waveney Road. Drivers heading southbound will follow this diversion route in reverse.
• There will be a bus service in place for pedestrians looking to cross the bridge.
A - S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r
"You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget"
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest