The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Lowestoft and Surrounding Area.

In this forum you can post pictures of Lowestoft in days gone by.
Note: If you post images which are not your own, it is possible that a copyright on those images may exist and a statement regarding this will appear on each topic in this forum under the guise of 'Forum Rules', should anybody decide to claim the copyright of any image displayed.
However, please feel free to post such images and we'll cross that bridge if and when it happens - like our 3rd crossing ;)

Forum rules
If the copyright of any image that has been posted in this topic belongs to someone who can offer proof of this then, if they so request it, the image(s) will be removed. Any such request must be made in an email to webmaster@mylowestoft.com and an administrator will, in return, request evidence of copyright ownership before taking the necessary action.
However, please note that this forum is non-profit and is not making any financial gain whatsoever from displaying any images.
Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Lowestoft and Surrounding Area.

Post by Dave » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:06 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

'London Road North, 1890' comes from Pinterest and 'The Evening Star, High Street' is from Crispin Hook/Facebook.
L563 London Road North 1890.jpg
L590 The Evening Star, High Street.jpg
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:50 pm

Two more from Russell Walker plus information.

1/ Sparrow's Nest ponds and gardens, Whapload Road, Lowestoft including North Denes Caravan Park (top middle right) and what could be an attempt at levelling off where the former outdoor swimming pool used to be in the top middle left on Swimming Pool Road. Early 1950s I reckon.

2/ Kensington Gardens, Kirkley including the bowling greens and St. Luke's Hospital (Empire Hotel). Late 1920s/early 1930s.
L710 Sparrow's Nest ponds .jpg
L741 Kensington Gardens.jpg
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:40 pm

1/ 'Beach Village, 1953 floods', a photo of unhappier times from Slideplayer.
2/ 'You wouldn't think we were at war when this photo was taken. Lowestoft Outer Harbour looking southerly towards the South Pier Pavilion/Reading Rooms, Yacht Basin, South Beach, The Esplanade and the Royal Hotel. The Trawl Dock is in the foreground right. Shot during the early days of WWI during August 1914.' Text and photo come from Russell Walker/Facebook.
L526 Beach Village, 1953 floods.jpg
L539 Outer Harbour .jpg

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:37 pm

1/ 'North Parade & Ravine Bridge' is provided by Crispin Hook/facebook.
2/ Another Facebook photo, this time from Russell Walker. 'The Street, Lound. Pre-WWI.'
L559 North Parade & Ravine Bridge.jpg
L559 North Parade & Ravine Bridge.jpg (42.22 KiB) Viewed 2994 times
L585 The Street, Lound. Pre-WWI.jpg

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:22 pm

1/ Nicholas Everett Park, Oulton Broad. Thanks to Crispin Hook & Facebook.
2/ Sandy Lane, off Herringfleet Road (B1074), St. Olaves. c.1925. Thanks to Russell Walker & Facebook.
L631 Nicholas Everett Park.jpg
L632 Sandy Lane.jpg

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:25 pm

1/ 'Nice photo of two young local girls cycling along the wooded lane (the photographer refers to it as a glade) that runs alongside Normanston Drive, Lowestoft. Photo was taken around 13th May 1953.'

2/ 'The splendid and lamented St. John's Church, corner of London Road South, Belvedere Road and St. John's Road, Lowestoft. Also a LCT Brush open top double deck tramcar heading north towards the Swing Bridge. To the left are the Royal Stables which became The Palace Cinema from 1913 and now Notley's. The church was levelled in late 1977/early 1978. Photo is 1903+.'

Thanks yet again to Russell Walker for both photos and the information.
L622 Normanston Drive, Lowestoft.jpg
L625 The splendid and lamented St. John's Church.jpg

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:24 pm

Dave wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:25 pm
1/ 'Nice photo of two young local girls cycling along the wooded lane (the photographer refers to it as a glade) that runs alongside Normanston Drive, Lowestoft. Photo was taken around 13th May 1953.'
Nice picture Dave. Taken right outside my house.

Didn't live there in 1953 though. I wasn't even born when the photo was taken.
I before E except after C - That's weird

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:42 pm

morty1753 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:24 pm
Nice picture Dave. Taken right outside my house.
It's funny how things work out sometimes, morty, I was born in Leytonstone, London and have seen many photos of the area. Apart from some photos of my own that I've added to Facebook I've never been able to find one of the street my dad lived in as a boy and I grew up in. By pure luck I post a random photo and you see a scene you could see from your window. :D

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:16 am

A couple of Russell Walker's photos, both of Somerleyton. They are both fairly modern, only 39 and 32 years old respectively. :D

1/ 'Wintry village scene and an icy pond at Somerleyton. Photo was taken on 23rd December 1982.'

2/ 'Nice snap of Somerleyton Swing Bridge with a Norwich Lowestoft service provided by Met-Cam Class 101 2-car DMU Set 62 on Friday 31st March 1989.'
L900 Wintry village scene .jpg
L960 Somerleyton Swing Bridge.jpg

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:21 am

1/ 'Lowestoft, flooded John Street, Kirkley Ham, c1905', thanks to eBay.
2/ 'The first Mogul Service Station was opened at Lowestoft', thanks to Pinterest.
L1222 Lowestoft, flooded John Street, Kirkley Ham, c1905..jpg
L1222 Lowestoft, flooded John Street, Kirkley Ham, c1905..jpg (86.46 KiB) Viewed 2939 times
L1230 The first Mogul Service Station was opened at Lowestoft.jpg
L1230 The first Mogul Service Station was opened at Lowestoft.jpg (231.31 KiB) Viewed 2939 times

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:38 pm

1/ Thanks to John Boundy & Pinterest for 'Pakefield Street, 1903'.
2/ 'What are your memories of the Morlings, The House of Music shop please? 149-151 London Road North, Lowestoft. Photo was taken on Friday 9th December 1977.' Thanks to Russell Walker & Facebook.
L557 Pakefield Street, 1903.jpg
L564 The House of Music .jpg