The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Lowestoft Industry.

In this forum you can post pictures of Lowestoft in days gone by.
Note: If you post images which are not your own, it is possible that a copyright on those images may exist and a statement regarding this will appear on each topic in this forum under the guise of 'Forum Rules', should anybody decide to claim the copyright of any image displayed.
However, please feel free to post such images and we'll cross that bridge if and when it happens - like our 3rd crossing ;)

Forum rules
If the copyright of any image that has been posted in this topic belongs to someone who can offer proof of this then, if they so request it, the image(s) will be removed. Any such request must be made in an email to webmaster@mylowestoft.com and an administrator will, in return, request evidence of copyright ownership before taking the necessary action.
However, please note that this forum is non-profit and is not making any financial gain whatsoever from displaying any images.
Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Male/Female: Male

Lowestoft Industry.

Post by Dave » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:53 pm

I've called this topic 'Lowestoft Industry', but all of the images I have are of fishing and fishermen/women. This first photo is a postcard with this message on the back.

'Dear Vi,
Thought you would like this card with my love & hope you all are having a good time as we are. I am going to have a dip in sea today. Thanks Justine for her kind letter & hope Auntie Louis will enjoy her stay with you. We are all well.
Auntie Alice.'

Post Mark. 2 September 1914.

L16 Scotch Fish Workers, Lowestoft PC.jpg
This image comes with the information, 'Landing herring Lowestoft UK ca 1908.'

L12 Landing herring Lowestoft UK ca 1908.jpg
L12 Landing herring Lowestoft UK ca 1908.jpg (129.15 KiB) Viewed 3113 times
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Lowestoft Industry.

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:05 am

The first picture reminds me of one that the Co-op had of a young Scottish woman that was known as 'Jenny Herring'. They used her image to have reproductions made in the form of 'plaster-casts' for a promotion in the late 1980's/early 1990's.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:30 pm

The first image is a postcard with the message,
'Dear "Robin"
Just a card of Lowestoft. It is a very nice place. We are very busy packing. Get up 6.30 every morning & finish about 9.0. I expect I shall have to come back alone as it won't be all packed in the time. Will see you Monday. Only a few more days for you!
Love from
Mabel.

Post Mark. 11 June 1918.
As you can see from the card it was a record catch that day.

The second photo records that these are the 'Lowestoft fish landings'. No date for this picture.
L17 A Record Catch, Lowestoft. PC.jpg
L15 Lowestoft fish landings..jpg
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:07 pm

A bit more up to date this time and two photos that boatbuilder might like.
Number one is 'Inside the CWS (Co-op) Canning Factory on Riverside Road/Waveney Drive, Lowestoft. August 1965'.
Number two is 'Two factory workers in the CWS Cannery in December 1982'.
L47 Inside the CWS (Co-op) Canning Factory.jpg
L48 Two factory workers in the CWS Cannery in December 1982..jpg

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:43 pm

Long before I worked there Dave, but very recognisable. The second picture is of canning Image :D

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:53 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Long before I worked there Dave, but very recognisable. The second picture is of canning Image :D
I thought you might like those photos, boatbuilder, they came from 'Facebook'. They have several Lowestoft pages, the two I look at are 'Views of New and Old Lowestoft' & 'Views of Old Lowestoft'. They're worth a look if anyone's interested. By the way, whatever that carrot's on I'll have some. :lol:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:16 pm

Dave wrote: By the way, whatever that carrot's on I'll have some. :lol:
Beta Carotene I guess. :lol:

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:39 pm

boatbuilder wrote:
Dave wrote: By the way, whatever that carrot's on I'll have some. :lol:
Beta Carotene I guess. :lol:
I'm off to Tesco tomorrow then.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:51 pm

Dave wrote:I'm off to Tesco tomorrow then.
Well he looks nothing like 'Disco Dave' :lol: :discodave:

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Dave wrote:
boatbuilder wrote:Long before I worked there Dave, but very recognisable. The second picture is of canning Image :D
I thought you might like those photos, boatbuilder, they came from 'Facebook'. They have several Lowestoft pages, the two I look at are 'Views of New and Old Lowestoft' & 'Views of Old Lowestoft'. They're worth a look if anyone's interested. By the way, whatever that carrot's on I'll have some. :lol:
That sounds rather concerning, Despite them being placed on a public forum - Facebook - they may well be owned by someone who does not wish them to be shared elsewhere. Particularly if they are unaware of it! Has permission been sought for the use of these images?

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:11 pm

What’s so concerning? If you bothered to read the statement at the top of every page then anybody who claims copyright can request their removal providing they can provide proof.
However, any images displayed on here that are not links to other websites, which they aren’t, can only be viewed by this forum’s members anyway, when logged in.

Also this forum isn’t profiteering from them like Facebook is.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:04 pm

muzzy wrote:That sounds rather concerning, Despite them being placed on a public forum - Facebook - they may well be owned by someone who does not wish them to be shared elsewhere. Particularly if they are unaware of it! Has permission been sought for the use of these images?
I asked one of the admin members who helps run both Lowestoft Facebook pages if it was okay to use photos and he said it was okay, muzzy, there shouldn't be a problem. :) Not all the images from the four topics come from Facebook, many of them are Googled and most can be found again and again on different sites. Just try Googling 'Lowestoft old photos' in images and you'll see the same photos popping up everywhere. :D

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:26 am

Herring Barrel Making, c.1908.
L73 Herring Barrel Making, c.1908..png
Old Co-Op canning factory. Thanks to Russel Walker, admin member for several of the Facebook Lowestoft pages, for letting me use his many photos, of which this is one.
L43 Old Co-Op canning factory..jpg

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:10 pm

I would guess the factory was decorated for the Silver Jubilee of King George V in the May.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:33 pm

boatbuilder wrote:I would guess the factory was decorated for the Silver Jubilee of King George V in the May.
All those decorations remind me of christmas. :D