The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Blood Tests

Discussion and debate about the issues that concern Lowestoft.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Blood Tests

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:46 am

I meant to post about this a couple of weeks ago after I took my wife for a blood test to Kirkley Medical Centre. It was indicated by the phlebotomist that they would not be doing the blood tests there any more from the end of this month. When we asked where they would be done, we were told they would be done by our own surgery.

Has anybody else heard of this change?
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Blood Tests

Post by muzzy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:31 am

That's strange, as one of the reasons given for moving from Lowestoft Hospital was the availability of north and south central areas for blood testing. It doesn't make sense for individual surgeries to do them, as it would mean trained nurses suddenly having an extra workload, on top of their already heavy workload. I've not heard of this idea before, and I had a blood test a few weeks ago.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:20 pm

I don't think it would have been mentioned except my wife happened to comment to the phlebotomist something like 'no doubt I'll see you again sometime' as we were leaving and she responded with the information given. Puzzled us as well. However, quite a few years back, they used to do blood tests at our surgery - Rosedale - and that was before it was the large practice it has now become.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Abu Nuwas

Post by Abu Nuwas » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:02 am

Yes, BB, my doctor at Bridge Rd, Oulton Broad, mentioned, to my joy, that they would now be doing blood-tests. I did not know that Kirkley was closing.

I am dubious about these changes though, but much more about suggestions that we now don't go to A & E or the doctor , but phone 111, or worse, go to the pharmacist. I have never heard any sense from 111 or about them, and I want pharmacists to be one pillar on which I can rely to do what they are supposed to. The implication has to be, that heretofore, they have been sitting around playing cards.
Consistency is the hob-goblin of the small mind

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:53 pm

They are definitely moving from Kirkley Mill BB my friend is a plebotamist there and he told me last week that they are going to be done in each persons surgery shame for me as Kirkley was much closer than getting over to CC but hey ho I hopefully won’t need any
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:11 pm

We forgot to ask Enid's hairdresser, who also works as a phlebotomist, about it when she was here a couple of weeks back FC. I guess we would have got the same answer anyway. :D

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:36 pm

boatbuilder wrote:We forgot to ask Enid's hairdresser, who also works as a phlebotomist, about it when she was here a couple of weeks back FC. I guess we would have got the same answer anyway. :D
No relation to Sweeney Todd I hope. :no:
I before E except after C - That's weird

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:26 pm

morty1753 wrote:
boatbuilder wrote:We forgot to ask Enid's hairdresser, who also works as a phlebotomist, about it when she was here a couple of weeks back FC. I guess we would have got the same answer anyway. :D
No relation to Sweeney Todd I hope. :no:
No, not him Morty, but maybe to a certain 'Count'. :lol:

busman
Male/Female: male

Post by busman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:22 am

Yes, Bridge Road have confirmed same, but you have to make an appointment, it's not just show up. Judging by the pigs ear they make of appointments, I might be popping over to Paget.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:59 pm

Saw the Doctor this morning – and he said “You need to make an appointment for a Blood Test,” and gave me the relevant paperwork. Got home, succumbed to a very nice Cappuccino, and then phoned the Kirkley Centre number on the sheet. It rang and then the recorded voice said “The number you have dialled has not been recognised.” Checked that I’d dialled correctly – I had. Tried the other number given with the same result. Checked their webpage which gives the same numbers. So, back to the Surgery to speak to the Receptionist - only one on duty today! “Oh, those numbers don’t work!” she said. So, she made the appointment for me . . . 9th May! :shock:
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Presumably you hadn't read this topic, Trigger.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:32 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Presumably you hadn't read this topic, Trigger.
If I've posted wrongly, I apologise.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Trigger wrote:
boatbuilder wrote:Presumably you hadn't read this topic, Trigger.
If I've posted wrongly, I apologise.
Not at all, Trigger. I was merely making a comment, as if you had previously read it then you would have known from other people's posts that blood tests were now being carried out at the surgeries from the beginning of this month. I'm surprised your doctor never informed you at the time, as a matter of courtesy, particularly as the change to the system is very recent.
Incidentally, that date they have given you seems a ridiculously long time to have to wait just for a blood test. :think:

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:44 am

Thanks for your reply, bb. I did know that this “service” is carried out at surgeries as I’ve seen patients being called through and have even been asked if I was “here for a Blood Test” – perhaps she thought I looked in need of some help! Perhaps I didn’t explain properly what had happened – the Doc gave me the printed-out form plus a small form explaining the procedure to make an appointment at whichever surgery (within our practice) you are using. When I spoke to the receptionist she immediately said “Oh those forms are not used. Who is your Doctor?”; I told her and she said “I shall have words with him – those aren't used.”

I agree it’s a long while to wait for a test – but who am I to disagree with the surgery’s Receptionist? :?