The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Waveney to Charge for Green Waste Collections

Discussion and debate about the issues that concern Lowestoft.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Waveney to Charge for Green Waste Collections

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Our new 2017 sticker for the green bin arrived today. Interestingly enough, I realised only yesterday that despite having paid for it at the beginning of this month it hadn't come so I phoned them up to query it as our first collection of the 'new' year is due next week (2nd). They told me they were late going out but that they should be delivered by tomorrow (24th).
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:45 pm

I got mine a week ago Bb although I didn't pay until the beginning of the month too, tiny little thing I was expecting it to be the same size as the last one
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:14 pm

I wasn't sure what to expect although I thought it would be more than just a label to cover the year. If it went astray in the post then anybody who got their hands on it could use it to cover the year on their existing label over and get a free year as there is nothing on it to indicate the intended recipient.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:35 pm

In contrast my bin was taken away this week (from Carnforth) as I have declined Lancashire Council's kind offer of a paid service. Our garden is very small and a large part of it is flagged and stoned out the back. So I will revert back to what I used to do in the autumn when the leaves fall which is to put them in a bin liner and take them down to the tip.
It's grim up North...

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:06 am

If I had no garden as such, I d do the same as you Frankie but for me without transport it's a boon and from now my bin will be FULL to overflowing every fortnight and I truely don't think it's much to pay if you have a garden
I felt a bit resentful at first which you always do when something changes but common sense now prevails and tells me it's a decent price for a good service
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:36 am

Is that the same service which WAS included in the original monies collected for such?
Though the council said to the wife it was not I ask where DID the monies come from to support running that service? I got NO answer. Mmm?
Still as WE have a garden and have met with adverse effects when I did burn some in an incinerator we have "had" to comply and pay for this service. Trying to take it to the one and only council recycling centre is a joke with the wait in the traffic to get in.
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:37 am

Before I write this, I would just say that I am not a councillor and the following is just my personal view on a situation that has materialised over a number of years. The financial statistics I have quoted are FACT before anybody questions them, as I have the evidence and I am sure you could verify them yourselves if you keep records. And yes, I know someone will throw back various arguments about money being wasted elsewhere on such things as new offices and the like but these things have to happen from time to time and we have to accept that. Anyway, here is my view in simplistic terms.

I suppose if you go back to pre-green bin days you will know that people would put their garden waste in the black bin (as I did). That would ultimately go to land-fill which, because of the penalties (taxes) being put on councils using landfill they have had to review the situation and look for ways to counter this. They therefore introduced the green bin and started recycling/composting the garden waste and maybe paid for this out of the savings made from paying less taxes on the reduced amounts they send to landfill. I don't remember when the green bin was introduced but what I do know is my Council tax increased by just 3.17% between the years 2008/9 and 2015/16 (7 years) equivalent to less than 0.5% par annum. Last year it went up by 2.2% year-on-year and that was due to the requirement for social care needs. Just for comparison, the CPI inflation rate increased by 20.3% (compounded) from the beginning of 2008 to the end of 2015 and the Council Tax increased by 5.6% over the same period - being the compounded rate of the two figures quoted above.

At least you now have the option of either paying for a service which the council can no longer sustain because of the limitations placed on them from central government or dealing with the issue yourself by taking it to the recycling centre as and when. Of course there are going to be queues there, there always were - even before these green bin changes came about. If you only have one or two bags full to take and there are long queues then why not park somewhere on the road outside and carry it in - I did that recently with something else I took there when there was a queue. If you regularly accumulate such green waste then surely it would pay you over the year to pay for the green bin and save on your fuel and time. I am sure that if many people continue to put large amounts of garden waste into the black bin then the council will be forced to introduce some other measures to put a stop to it.

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:43 pm

I understand your post BB, and we (err in doors and myself) now pay the charge for the green bin.
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:50 pm

Yes, I noticed you had said mentioned that in your previous post, nikkai. The 'you' in my post was intended to refer to all 'other' parties and not necessarily any one in particular just to get my point across.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:57 am

Can I add that queue or not we have wonderful ( even if it's smelly) tip facilities I hear so many people from other parts of the country talk about having to pay to take things to their local tip Ours is well constructed with the different sections and free. ( up to now)

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:03 am

It's free, because they make alot of money from recycling. A lot of items can be fixed/repaired, and then sold on. We used to take items from the local tip for free as children, but nowadays they are repaired and taken to Ipswich where they have a dedicated recycling shop you can go and buy 2nd hand items. I applaud this - I don't like it when something breaks and the general advice is to throw away and get new - but I also don't think it's right to be under the misapprehension that the the tip is provided free of charge as a public utility.

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:43 am

funkychick wrote:Can I add that queue or not we have wonderful ( even if it's smelly) tip facilities I hear so many people from other parts of the country talk about having to pay to take things to their local tip Ours is well constructed with the different sections and free. ( up to now)
I know how smelly it is and also there is some restrictions to what you can dispose of there and also quantities I took out a stud wall which was plasterboard but could only get rid of a little at a time or PAY for the amount I wanted to get rid of in one go, it worked out to be 6 sheets of 8ft X4ft in total then there was the coving made of the same. I believe that the cost was put at £25.00 also there was some rubble from the garden but you can only get rid of 2 bags approx. 25Kg each at any one time unless you pay the charge.

so now we pay the green bin tax and I transport the other stuff to work and get the farm to dispose of it.
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:44 am

nikkai wrote: ....so now we pay the green bin tax and I transport the other stuff to work and get the farm to dispose of it.
As long as they're not feeding the little piggies on it nikkai. :lol:

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:46 pm

boatbuilder wrote:
nikkai wrote: ....so now we pay the green bin tax and I transport the other stuff to work and get the farm to dispose of it.
As long as they're not feeding the little piggies on it nikkai. :lol:
Its what makes it the BEST PORK in the country !!!! :D
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:22 pm

So THAT'S why we have green bacon. :D