The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Waveney to Charge for Green Waste Collections

Discussion and debate about the issues that concern Lowestoft.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Waveney to Charge for Green Waste Collections

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:52 pm

I hope I didn't talk this up when I mentioned a couple of months ago about a similar charge already in force in Lancashire.

Waveney residents face charge for green waste collections

Waveney residents are facing a charge for the collection of garden waste after a council said it was put in “an almost impossible position” by a cut to recycling payments.

Waveney District Council (WDC) currently collects organic waste in green-coloured bins - even though it is expensive due to laws around the disposal of food waste.

However after discussions within the Suffolk Waste Partnership - a group of councils working to improve waste management services in the county - Suffolk County Council has announced it will reduce Recycling Performance Payments to the districts and boroughs, worth up to £790,000 per year to Waveney.

That means the cost to Waveney could increase from £800,000 per year to £1.68million - something WDC says is “not financially viable”, particularly when it is already having to deal with large cuts in government funding.

As a result its cabinet has agreed to introduce a charge for its organic waste collection service, although it has not yet been decided how much that will be or when the charge will start.

Read more: http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/1.4161894
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Re: Waveney to Charge for Green Waste Collections

Post by funkychick » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:57 pm

Yes I read that very disappointing as i fill my green bin up rapidly just have to black bag it or burn it I guess as I m blowed if I ll pay twice obce in community charge then again for that service
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:15 pm

As the cost is already included in the council tax, and the council's hand's are somewhat tied by the government in not being able to increase council tax without being penalised, then surely making an additional charge for this is a back-door way of getting around putting up the council tax so maybe it could be deemed illegal. We didn't ask the council to start it in the first place so it must have been viable when they introduced it.

I could never compost all the garden/food waste that goes in the green bin. After all, it takes a fair bit of time to decompose to a usable product so I would need a load of compost bins that would probably fill my garden. :lol:

I can't agree with burning - if everybody did that imagine the constant smell in the air, plus the air pollution that would go with it.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:06 pm

Looks like the powers that be have finally caught up with Lowestoft,here at Norwich we pay more than £40 pounds for a fortnightly collection of green waste,of course the alternative for us is not to have a green collection bin and transport the waste in the back of the car which involves a 10 mile round trip the recycling plant. We took the easy option years ago - pay up and let the Authorities do the job - provides someone with a job.

We have a waste food bucket which has never been used simply because we only cook what is necessary,of course it must be more difficult for large families to assess how much to cook without waste.
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:35 pm

I understand what you are saying SB but did you ever have your green waste collected separately BEFORE they made the charge of £40 or whatever it was at the outset - we didn't have any options of paying x£'s less per annum. If not then you obviously had the choice to make at the time. However, as I see it here in Waveney, they were able to meet the cost of the collections when introduced x-years ago from the council tax at the time and so it has always been part of the annual council tax budget. In that case to introduce an additional charge now is just like putting up the council tax outside of whatever the government's terms on funding dictates.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:39 pm

Suffolkboy wrote: We took the easy option years ago - pay up and let the Authorities do the job - provides someone with a job.
I am with Suffolkboy on this (a younger looking spruced up Suffolkboy going by his avatar ) but as I don't have a green bin I am hoping I won't have to contribute to the service anyway ;)
My Flickr pictures look here

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suffolkboy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:46 pm

Before the introduction of the Green bin collection all our garden waste went into the general waste bin,with the introduction of a dedicated green waste bin all green waste was then banned from the general bin.hence the choice for us was pay for a Green collection bin or take it to the recycling plant ourselves. I think you lot down there have been getting away lightly. ;) :mrgreen:

On the bright side I had a £72 TV rebate today dancer1

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:49 pm

Mel wrote: ...... but as I don't have a green bin I am hoping I won't have to contribute to the service anyway ;)
I wouldn't be too sure on that Mel. If they do make a charge which I have to pay, I may have to start charging a fee to the forum's members so I can afford to meet the site's hosting charges from next month. :lol: :lol: :lol: (only joking)

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:50 pm

Suffolkboy wrote: On the bright side I had a £72 TV rebate today dancer1
I presume you mean TV Licence rebate, SB.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:55 pm

well I m with BB we shouldn't have to pay for a situation that was forced on us we didnt ask for fortnightly collections to help the council get recycling points I think Lowestoft has done very well and managed the alternative weeks collections well so we shouldnt be penalised
I have a lot of greenstuff every week as I have a garden back and front not big but they produce plenty of waste from trees shrubs cuttings etc

I presume if you havent got a green bin then you havent got a garden Mel and it wouldn't be a problem for you :-}
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suffolkboy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:01 pm

boatbuilder wrote:
Suffolkboy wrote: On the bright side I had a £72 TV rebate today dancer1
I presume you mean TV Licence rebate, SB.
Got a little excited and carried away BB - forgot to add the word Licence :oops: :mrgreen:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:04 pm

Belated birthday present from the TVLRO or the BBC. :D

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suffolkboy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:05 pm

I am now wondering if you ever get that third crossing bridge whether they will introduce a toll,Cyclists to be included. :bike:

Only joking. :D

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suffolkboy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:09 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Belated birthday present from the TVLRO or the BBC. :D
Presume the TVLRO. Now begun saving up for one of those Southwold beach huts. ;) :D I wonder if they have to pay for a Green waste bin at Southwold?

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:11 pm

You'll need a few (thousand) more of those rebates then, SB :lol: