The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Moving the Crown Postoffice

Discussion and debate about the issues that concern Lowestoft.
SL-Dave

Moving the Crown Postoffice

Post by SL-Dave » Fri May 27, 2016 11:19 am

Rumours are that they are thinking of closing the main post office and relocating to inside WHSmiths. Whilst not confirmed, it is true that the Post Office are doing this all over the country, so could well be possible.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Moving the Crown Postoffice

Post by Trigger » Fri May 27, 2016 11:44 am

Think this was rumoured some time ago? I don’t like going into Smith’s - a dark and dreary place! Not much room in there - and if this goes ahead - they’ll need more floor space - otherwise we’ll be queuing outside!
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri May 27, 2016 1:09 pm

I second everything you say there Trigger.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri May 27, 2016 4:08 pm

BB - nice to know someone agrees! I can't think it's a very place to work in either - that gloomy atmosphere can't be good for encouraging the right working attitude amongst staff. At least they have a self-serve till! :)
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Fri May 27, 2016 6:10 pm

If it did move, I imagine it would be at the back of the shop where they have that 2nd counter for DVDs etc. Would be easier than making a whole new counter. Also, it might make them reopen the side doors direct into the Britten Centre, meaning you could enter the store directly near the counter rather than maneuver through the entire store just to get to the counter.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Fri May 27, 2016 9:32 pm

I honestly can't see it moving into WH Smith's, I think the shop is too small.
My Flickr pictures look here

JustStu2

Post by JustStu2 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:09 pm

What do people use the main PO for? Rather than a local one?
I went into a shop and said, "Can someone sell me a kettle." The bloke said "Kenwood" I said, "Where is he?"

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat May 28, 2016 10:32 pm

Probably used a lot by those who live close to it in town or those who work in town and find it convenient.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Sat May 28, 2016 11:17 pm

I don't think it's a rumour the post office has leaflets inside telling you all about the move which will locate the PO at the back of WHS it speaks of it being a given not a rumour and says the aisles are wide enough and disabled etc will be able to use it it doesn't say when though I was in yesterday and picked the leaflet up 4 pages so more a booklet than a leaflet
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun May 29, 2016 8:49 am

funkychick wrote:I don't think it's a rumour the post office has leaflets inside telling you all about the move which will locate the PO at the back of WHS
Well done for squashing that rumour Funkychick and there was me thinking WH Smith's was too small to house the PO. Maybe I was imagining the Post Office was busier than it actually is.
My Flickr pictures look here

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sun May 29, 2016 4:37 pm

Having read it through now it is a proposal usually that means ' we are doing this and you won't stop us but you can protest if you like' so there is no time frame given for the move but it has obviously been planned and accepted by WHS which makes me think they are looking for extra revenue . It says it will be a newly built open plan PO at the rear end of WHS ( there is a space at the back I think) entrance will be from the precinct there will be 5 counter spaces 4 open plan positions and one screened position for travel money etc just noticed there's a proposed date of move September 2016
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun May 29, 2016 5:02 pm

Let's hope it prompts WHS to improve the dismal lighting in their own shop area that currently makes it a rather depressing place to shop.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sun May 29, 2016 7:38 pm

I d never notice the low lighting just the high prices

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sun May 29, 2016 10:16 pm

Would this mean the main post office building would be up for sale? Or would they still use it for back end staff?

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sun May 29, 2016 10:18 pm

No idea on that one