The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Recycling

Discussion and debate about the issues that concern Lowestoft.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Recycling

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:29 pm

I wonder what our councils will come up with next?

I always shred sensitive documents and empty the shredder, when full, into the blue bin as after all, it is paper. Now I see from a leaflet that came through the door this week that we can no longer 'recycle' shredded paper in the blue bin. Oh well, they'll get it in the black bin from now on as I have no intention of pulping it and composting it myself as they suggest.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Recycling

Post by Mel » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:43 pm

boatbuilder wrote: Now I see from a leaflet that came through the door this week that we can no longer 'recycle' shredded paper in the blue bin.
I haven't had a leaflet yet Boatbuilder, but like you my shredded paper will go into the black bin if we can longer put it in the blue bin. Did they give any reason why they have come to this decision...it seems rather strange.
My Flickr pictures look here

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:48 pm

Just had a little look on the internet and came across this from Fareham Borough Council:

Most shredded paper is of a high grade and could be recycled but the paper strips are too small and light to be separated during sorting at our material recovery facility – the large plant where recyclables are sorted and sent for re-processing. Shredded paper gets lost or blown around the sorting plant and gets trapped in machinery where it can be a fire hazard.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:03 pm

You can read for yourself Mel. I have copied and created a PDF from it below:
Recycling.pdf
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 25 times

Maybe they need to find another way to recycle it - maybe inside paper bags. I see they have also now stopped collecting textiles which they started a couple of years ago.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:16 pm

boatbuilder wrote:You can read for yourself Mel.
Thanks for that Boatbuilder. I have plenty of room in my black bin, so my shredded paper will go in there :|

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:05 pm

Mel wrote:I have plenty of room in my black bin, so my shredded paper will go in there :|
As will mine - and I only emptied my Shredder’s bin into the bluey the day before I got the leaflet! Also tin foil will go in the black bin - I don’t get enough to “roll your foil into a tennis ball size” . . . if I did it would probably take a year or more to achieve it! :D
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:27 pm

Trigger wrote: Also tin foil will go in the black bin - I don’t get enough to “roll your foil into a tennis ball size” . . . if I did it would probably take a year or more to achieve it! :D
I suppose it depends on how tightly you roll it or screw it up, Trigger.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:43 pm

Very true! But mine will be aimed into the Black bin! :D
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:07 pm

Funny old world - we continue to place shredded paper into the recycling bin. When and if there is a change? I will update.
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:56 pm

Up here in Lancashire they have closed the big multi-million pound plant built to recycle green and food waste - it was so new it was still being commissioned. They are now putting a £30 collection charge on the green bins in line with many other councils but ours is saying it is to fund the collection as opposed to creating a bit more revenue which is what the more honest councils have been saying of late.
It's grim up North...

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:28 am

My black bin wasn't emptied last week I rang the relevant number and was asked if my bin was full I said no thankfully it had two bags in it was then told that that was the reason it wasn't emptied apparently if your bin is half full or less it won't be emptied I find this ridiculous as I had lugged it outside my garden to the relevant place, they had driven to it , walked over to it to look into it then decided to leave it for me to lug back in half full and wait a month to have it emptied I haven't opened the black bags but there is sure to be rotting veg scraps in there
I know I could have a small bin but some weeks if I ve had a clear out or my families been around my bin can be overflowing so don't want to go down in size
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:59 am

fc: My black bin (large - containing 2 bags) has just been emptied. Some of the petty “rules” used are just *****! Can’t help wondering if that was the actual reason - or whether just an answer - i.e. excuse for it not being emptied. Does the same “rule” apply to a small bin if it’s less than half-full? :huh:

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:16 am

It may have been an excuse Trigger but she came out with it too pat to have been made up on the spot And it annoyed me to think they must have gone to the trouble of walking over to it and looking in it before deciding not to bother both my neighbours were emptied and mine was sat in the correct position so can't see how they missed it, they never have before
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:21 am

I completely agree with your comments - I'd be annoyed if my bin was missed and all the others emptied.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:05 am

I am wondering if it is a pre-madeup excuse FC for when people phone up over such issues so they can decide if they send a vehicle out specially to empty it.
My neighbour usually pulls out bins up to the road and I pull them back down. However, last week I had quite a full bin with a couple of heavy items in so I pulled them both up and as usual her's was almost empty as she had also been away for a week. When I went out to pull them both down her's had been emptied.