The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 13th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 21st March 2024 at 5:07pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Recycling

Discussion and debate about the issues that concern Lowestoft.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Recycling

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:05 am

Latest post of the previous page:

I am wondering if it is a pre-madeup excuse FC for when people phone up over such issues so they can decide if they send a vehicle out specially to empty it.
My neighbour usually pulls out bins up to the road and I pull them back down. However, last week I had quite a full bin with a couple of heavy items in so I pulled them both up and as usual her's was almost empty as she had also been away for a week. When I went out to pull them both down her's had been emptied.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:45 am

funkychick wrote:It may have been an excuse Trigger but she came out with it too pat to have been made up on the spot And it annoyed me to think they must have gone to the trouble of walking over to it and looking in it before deciding not to bother both my neighbours were emptied and mine was sat in the correct position so can't see how they missed it, they never have before
Mention to the council that YOU will only pay half of the revenue they want as they are only doing half the work YOU PAY FOR! see if they leave you bin then.
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:23 pm

funkychick wrote:...was asked if my bin was full I said no thankfully it had two bags in it was then told that that was the reason it wasn't emptied apparently if your bin is half full or less it won't be emptied
It seems they want it both ways, if your bin is to full (overflowing) they won't empty it and if there isn't enough in it they won't empty it...what a load of 'small round things'. And the council wonder why we think so little of them!!
My Flickr pictures look here

Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: MALE

Post by 728 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:17 pm

I pay my taxes so even if there was a baked bean tin they should empty it.
In the end its not about how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:36 pm

Exactly, 728.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Aussie K » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:26 pm

i often wonder if they are going to find some fault with my black bin, it is always three quarters full or more and an enormous weight with the incontinence pads all tied up in plastic bags.
One thing is sure the would never find a sardine tin in there even if I put half a dozen in there.
The Bin man who has to empty it probably picks the short straw.
I have been known to run out at 7AM in my pyjama's & dressing gown to catch them a couple of streets away to get it emptied when I have heard them pass while lying in bed.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:03 pm

With a family of 6 our wheelie bin is insufficient in size. Even though I recycle everything that our local council will pick up I still have to get into the wheelie bin after week 1 and jump up and down to make room for week 2. I'm annoyed at the amount of plastic that I have to throw away though as it can't be recycled. I try and sneak some in the plastic bin every now and again but when I go out to bring the bins in those items are often left in there.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:32 pm

What plastic aren't YOU allowed to recycle?

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:50 pm

Loads of it BB. The plastic "boxes" that doughnuts come in. Plastic bacon containers. Large fabric softener containers. I expect I have to bin as much as I recycle. It's all very well the manufacturers saying on the side of the container that it is recyclable but getting somebody to recycle it is another matter.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:33 pm

frankiesays wrote:Loads of it BB. The plastic "boxes" that doughnuts come in. Plastic bacon containers. Large fabric softener containers. I expect I have to bin as much as I recycle. It's all very well the manufacturers saying on the side of the container that it is recyclable but getting somebody to recycle it is another matter.
I can't understand not being able to recycle large fabric softener containers or the plastic trays. I know the films aren't recyclable.

This is our recyclable list for our blue bin.
Recycle.jpg

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:07 pm

boatbuilder wrote:
frankiesays wrote:Loads of it BB. The plastic "boxes" that doughnuts come in. Plastic bacon containers. Large fabric softener containers. I expect I have to bin as much as I recycle. It's all very well the manufacturers saying on the side of the container that it is recyclable but getting somebody to recycle it is another matter.
I can't understand not being able to recycle large fabric softener containers or the plastic trays. I know the films aren't recyclable.

This is our recyclable list for our blue bin.
Recycle.jpg
I'm pretty sure they don't take yogurt pots but will re-check. they have recently started recycling the "bathroom" containers but I have had the largest fabric softeners excluded and also the oblong plastic tubs of laundry "pouches" excluded which I think are probably classed as hard plastic. I'll need to check on the tetra orange juice containers as we've only just started getting those and I suspect we need to take them to the tip ourselves along with cooking oil and hard plastics. they no longer process food waste so that all goes back in the bin again and into landfill. I think a lot of the green garden waste will too now that they've imposed a charge. We used to compost it but no longer have the room or a garden for putting the compost on to.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:35 pm

There are that many types of plastic HDPE, LDPE, PVC, PET, etc., etc. How do they expect the average Joe Public who doesn't know one from the other to differentiate? I put all rigid plastics in the blue bin, irrespective of colour. It is only the films that go in the black one. Yes, all food waste here now has to go into the black bin now and not the green bin. I can understand that with certain food waste that you have cooked like meat and chicken carcasses but why should vegetable waste such as peelings, banana skins and orange peels not go into the green bin. Apparently it is OK to put windfall fruit in the green bin so what's the difference between putting in that and apple cores, etc? I do wonder at times about the people who have the responsibility for making the decisions on these matters if they know what they're doing. :roll:
This is the list of what CAN go in out green bins:
Grass leaves & weeds
Flowers & Plants
Hedge clippings
Branches less than 6cm thick
Prunings & twigs
Windfall fruit
Hay/Straw (bedding from non-meat eating animals such as rabbits
Vegetable wast from the garden (not kitchen waste).