The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

The old Town Hall

Discussion and debate about the issues that concern Lowestoft.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

The old Town Hall

Post by Trigger » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:32 am

Being mindful of the boarding-up of the windows in the old Town Hall (Local News), I wondered what might be happening with the large stained glass window in the Council Chamber. Would it also be boarded up – or perhaps removed? So I trekked in a northerly direction to Mariners Street to view the back of that building. There is scaffolding around the window – which could suggest that will be removed as, I would think, it has a value in it's own right.

From The Independent 28/11/95:
“Another fine Peto legacy to Lowestoft, although much harder to discover, rests inside the old town hall, which sits happily on the quiet High Street - most of the town has drifted down towards the shopping centres in London Road North. Here, in the Council Chamber is some superb stained glass (above) originally intended for Peto's Somerleyton Hall. Costing 800 guineas, the large window offers a magnificent depiction of the Field of the Cloth of Gold, when Henry VIII and Francis I of France sealed a deal more than 400 years ago: the Tudor equivalent of John Major and Jacques Chirac?”
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/sit ... 84106.html
Attachments
RearWindow.jpg
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The old Town Hall

Post by Mel » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:05 pm

That is most interesting Trigger. I found a picture of the window HERE
My Flickr pictures look here

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:58 pm

It's really nice isn't it. Hope it doesn't go walkabouts as it belongs in the town somewhere.
It's grim up North...

SheilaO
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: Female

Post by SheilaO » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:25 pm

thank you for that, very interesting, I hope it's being looked after.

I note these posts were from November and December, does anyone know anything further. There is such a lot of history in The Old High Street, it would be a great pity if things were just allowed to disintegrate, or get 'lost'.
Our task must be to free ourselves by widening of our compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.
Albert Einstein