The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

North Denes

Discussion and debate about the issues that concern Lowestoft.
SheilaO
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: Female

North Denes

Post by SheilaO » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:09 pm

I believe the North Deans Area was given to the people of Lowestoft in perpetuity for recreational purposes. It was noted, over a year ago, that a large area had been fenced off. After further inquiries it was discovered that this area had been given to Tingdeans caravan site on lease for 93 years, by Waveney District Council, there is no record of any payment for this. There have been objections recorded and PONDA (Protect our North Deans Association) instructed a solicitor to look into the legality of the whole thing about last June, nothing has happened since then, but the land remains fenced off.

I can't help but wonder what WDC is playing at, as they are going to hand responsability for the caravan site to the new Lowestoft Town Council when the take over several other responsibilities. What do other people feel about this.
Our task must be to free ourselves by widening of our compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.
Albert Einstein

SL-Dave

Re: North Denes

Post by SL-Dave » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:13 pm

I think Mervyn should be encouraged to join our community, if he hasn't already. He has been instrumental in pushing for PONDA to take action, and was rather vocal on Streetlife. He has access to many documents regarding this matter that others do not, plus the resources to take things further.

SheilaO
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by SheilaO » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:19 pm

I'll send him a message
Our task must be to free ourselves by widening of our compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.
Albert Einstein

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:19 am

I personally think the caravan park is a big asset and is nicely kept and is better than the rough rather unkempt grassy area used mainly by dog walkers that was there before
I thought there was going to be a historical trail or something on the other part, is that still happening ?
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

SheilaO
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by SheilaO » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:57 pm

funkychick wrote:I personally think the caravan park is a big asset and is nicely kept and is better than the rough rather unkempt grassy area used mainly by dog walkers that was there before
I thought there was going to be a historical trail or something on the other part, is that still happening ?
Funky Chick, once this goes into private ownership, the owners can do what they like with it, they have already fenced the area off, this belongs to you and me, and should have been maintained as such, it need not be unkempt. Apart from all that if the council get away with giving this piece of public land away with out public consultation, we could loose so much of our common land, would you really like the whole of the Deans become a huge caravan site. I personally would rather see a wild area where birds and wild life can breed, than a load of aluminium boxes stacked neatly row on row.

This earth really needs it's wild places, we need the ecology to make life sustainable, if we keep biting away little chunks of it, one day we will turn around and say where has it all gone.

I know this isn't a rain forest, but our gardens and allotments need the insects and birds that breed there.
Albert Einstein

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:43 am

I totally agree that we need beautiful open places Sheila but prior to the caravan park that wasn't a beautiful wildlife area it was grassy shrub with loads of dog poo on it and had been for years if the council had the money to make it into a wildlife haven then that's what should have been done but they haven't the money to do anything so surely a well kept caravan site paid for by others and that will be used by visitors to the town is a good idea
Aren't they going to make the area between the caravan park and Birds eye into a historial trail ?
I certainly agree nothing should have been done without the public being involved you are totally right there and if the community had wanted to take it over as a well kept wildlife area ( like Gunton woods so well looked after) then it should have been fought for ......is there a Denes community committee ?
By the way I m totally with you about green areas and I hate the way people are concreting gardens we definitely need greenery for birds insects etc I m with you all the way there as I also fight for rain forests etc one day we will see what we ve lost
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Post by Mel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:40 pm

I don't know the rights and wrongs of who should be consulted when changing the use of the denes I will leave that to the lawyers, but I agree with Funkychick, I think the idea of the caravan park is good for the town. It will bring holidaymakers to the area which in turn will bring money and jobs into the town.

Of course we should keep green spaces where we can but keeping them means the public as well as the council taking care and responsibility for these areas, and not just using them as fly tipping spots or dog fouling areas.
My Flickr pictures look here

SheilaO
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by SheilaO » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:57 pm

Believe me, I have had a caravan on a similar site, and once you are on the site you don't move off it, the rent etc is so high, everyone is determined to get value for their money, there are no shops near enough the Denes, to encourage people to move off the site, and the centre of Lowestof is not near enough to have people strolling into either the town or seafront. I did a little bit of research and discovered that if people did go anywhere they were more inclined to go North of Lowestoft, even the Sparrows Nest, do not notice any difference in the number of customers,during the 'season'

Which picture do you prefer
Attachments
Gallery-Northdenes3.jpg
IMG_2701.JPG
IMG_20150825_141847664_HDR.jpg
Albert Einstein