The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 3rd 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 11th April 2024 at 7:10pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Ridding Lowestoft Town Centre of Seagulls

Discussion and debate about the issues that concern Lowestoft.
Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Ridding Lowestoft Town Centre of Seagulls

Post by Mel » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:04 pm

I was pleased to hear that hawks are going to be used in the town centre to try and 'move on' London Rd North's resident gulls. They have become a pest and a shopping precinct is not the place for them.
Read more here

edit by admin 15:10 on 3rd April: This was originally posted in the local news topic but in view of the number of posts responding, they have all been moved into this new topic in the 'Debate Lowestoft Issues' board.
My Flickr pictures look here

Dpeanut
Male/Female: Female

Re: Ridding Lowestoft Town Centre of Seagulls

Post by Dpeanut » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:29 pm

I live by a school Mel that's full of them by 5am I'd love a hawk or two ....London done simular to traffalgar square. But I have seen shop keepers frowing out food and pedestrians moaning at the person to stop in town but they carry on . Maybe we are to blame also
Yesterday was the past , tomorrow is the future, today is the present ....look after your gift :D

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:56 am

Of course we are to blame people chuck fast food containers down everywhere there are chips and bits of buns all over Seagulls don't naturally eat these things we have opened up the rubbish supermarket to the birds then blame them
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:19 am

funkychick wrote:.... we have opened up the rubbish supermarket to the birds then blame them
I certainly agree with you Funkychick it is litter louts and the ignorant people who think feeding these creatures in unnatural areas like our shopping precinct is the right thing to do. At least trying to scare the birds away and to stop them breeding in these areas is better than a culling exercise which none of us want to see.
My Flickr pictures look here

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:17 pm

I agree Mel it just annoys me how we cause so many problems then blame the animals same goes for the beautiful fox and even rats, a highly intelligent rodent only around towns and not in the countryside because of our behaviour
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

SNiBet
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by SNiBet » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:23 pm

Seagulls even scavenge in the community shared/wheelie bins, so making sure the lid is closed (if it's not over full), cause they make a mess if something takes their fancy, and not all the neighbours close the lids.

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Aussie K » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:20 pm

I was walking it the main St. and two ladies were passing by eating some burgers some thing similar when this gigantik seagull came and snatched the ladies meal all in a split second and the bird and the the meal were gone. It came from nowhere and was within inches from me, it's beak seamed huge & looked six inches long, it's wings huge but half folded as I saw it when throwing my head and shoulders down. The women who didn't look as if she needed that meal screamed as this great bird facing her took her meal in an instant. The bird well trained left no litter.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:07 pm

Aussie K wrote:I was walking it the main St. and two ladies were passing by eating some burgers some thing similar when this gigantik seagull came and snatched the ladies meal all in a split second and the bird and the the meal were gone. It came from nowhere and was within inches from me, it's beak seamed huge & looked six inches long, it's wings huge but half folded as I saw it when throwing my head and shoulders down. The women who didn't look as if she needed that meal screamed as this great bird facing her took her meal in an instant. The bird well trained left no litter.
you'd need more than a hawk to take on a Herring Gull or Greater Black-backed Gull - they are more likely to scare the hawk away.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:54 pm

They don't 'take them on' if this report from Plymouth back in 2010 is anything to go by, and it seemed to have started having the desired effect at the time of reporting.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10618883

Posts split from the Local News topic into this topic of its own - see note in original post.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Biffo

Post by Biffo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:36 am

Just don't send them to Carlton Colville! we have quite enough of them in Ashburnham Way.
the covered waste bins the Co-Op put in last year helped a lot, but people using the car park at night and scattering McDonalds wrappings don't help. I was dive-bombed twice last year, when walking the dog, which wasn't a pleasant experience.
ne member mentioned earlier that scaring them was a good idea, rather than a cull "which none of us wants to see.2 Are you sure/ I would welcome one!