The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

The Transformation of Ness Point

Discussion and debate about the issues that concern Lowestoft.
Cowper
Male/Female: Female

Re: The Transformation of Ness Point

Post by Cowper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:51 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

I don't know if it's still there, but there was a shop in the old High Street called 'Come and Sew' that had an ancient room underneath, and which could be visited by prior request - north of Spurgens Score. It was probably several years ago that I heard about this and don't know the current situation. Sadly I hardly ever go into the old High Street these days, ever since my dentist up there was taken over, and he subsequently moved.

Didn't Oliver Cromwell once take refuge in one of the old buildings in the High Street, or is that myth?

Cowper

Post by Cowper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:53 pm

I forgot to mention that Alice (posting on Streetlife) had a long list of what sounded like great ideas for the regeneration of Ness Point, and which we were all urging her to submit to WDC, which I think she did. Whether or not they'll take any of it onboard is another question.

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member
Male/Female: Male

Post by morty1753 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:14 pm

I have heard that Oliver Cromwell stayed in the Royal Falcon at the top of the High Street.

There is a presentation by Ivan Bunn about Lowestoft and Oliver Cromwell at the Seagull on July 28th, I am sure it will be interesting with Ivan doing it.

http://www.theseagull.co.uk/event/olive ... rfew-bell/
I before E except after C - That's weird

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Cowper wrote:I don't know if it's still there, but there was a shop in the old High Street called 'Come and Sew' that had an ancient room underneath, and which could be visited by prior request - north of Spurgens Score. It was probably several years ago that I heard about this and don't know the current situation. Sadly I hardly ever go into the old High Street these days, ever since my dentist up there was taken over, and he subsequently moved.

Didn't Oliver Cromwell once take refuge in one of the old buildings in the High Street, or is that myth?
Apparently he managed to dig a tunnel from High Street to St Margaret's church over a single weekend. Due to the lack of sophisticated tunneling equipment at the time I think we can assume it is a myth.
It's grim up North...

Cowper

Post by Cowper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:00 pm

frankiesays wrote:[ Apparently he managed to dig a tunnel from High Street to St Margaret's church over a single weekend. Due to the lack of sophisticated tunneling equipment at the time I think we can assume it is a myth.
That tunnel sounds highly unlikely FS, (unless you had the Great Escape cast and crew with you at the time!) but does that negate the story that he took refuge in the High Street at some time?

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Cowper wrote:
frankiesays wrote:[ Apparently he managed to dig a tunnel from High Street to St Margaret's church over a single weekend. Due to the lack of sophisticated tunneling equipment at the time I think we can assume it is a myth.
That tunnel sounds highly unlikely FS, (unless you had the Great Escape cast and crew with you at the time!) but does that negate the story that he took refuge in the High Street at some time?
Cowper, did you see Morty's post above re-High Street?
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Cowper

Post by Cowper » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:07 am

boatbuilder wrote: Cowper, did you see Morty's post above re-High Street?

Yes, I did see that BB and I might make an effort to see the Ivan Bunn talk, which sounds like it could be very interesting.

Cowper

Post by Cowper » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:22 am

Sometimes I get the 'quotes' thing right, and sometimes I just don't!

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:40 pm

If you wish to quote a post Cowper, you should click on the 'Inverted commas' icon that is at the top right corner of the post you intend to quote.

You must then ensure you type your own message AFTER the closing quote code [/quote] or it may appear as part of the quote.
If you only wish to quote part of the post then you can delete any part of the wording but you must ensure that you leave both the opening code [quote="username"] and the end one fully intact, and again make sure you type your message after the closing quote code. Note that the closing quote has an oblique before the word 'quote' but the opening one doesn't.

I have amended your message above.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget