The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

The Lowestoft 3rd Road Crossing - LATEST

Discussion and debate about the issues that concern Lowestoft.
JustStu2

Re: The Lowestoft 3rd Road Crossing - LATEST

Post by JustStu2 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:38 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Please don't try to turn this topic into a political battle, and certainly not pro-Labour. How many years was 'Bob' our MP, and how far did he get with getting us a third crossing?

By the way, I'm not for or against any party. I don't believe we need a third crossing in the middle of the other two. It won't help traffic anywhere near as much as people think. Also the cost/benefit analysis will never justify it.
I went into a shop and said, "Can someone sell me a kettle." The bloke said "Kenwood" I said, "Where is he?"

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:03 am

Peter Colbys idea seems a very valid one to me and surely Bob B was banging his head against a brick wall when he was our MP he certainly tried harder than others have tried IMO I dont think it is or should be a political party subject all should work together over this 'elephant in the cupboard'
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

JustStu2

Post by JustStu2 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:55 pm

The Colby idea is to build two bridges. Now, forgive me here, but I thought there wasn't any money to build one new bridge. So how is his plan for two likely to succeed?
Also, why two bridges anyway? They will still be opened at the same time. Plus he proposed a lock as well. Even more expense.

Nothing of his idea seems to make sense. Not from a cost point of view, or a design point of view.
I went into a shop and said, "Can someone sell me a kettle." The bloke said "Kenwood" I said, "Where is he?"

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:10 pm

You seem to be misinformed as to how the two-bridge scheme will work, JustStu. In the image below, the straight road across the water will be the main route open. However if there is a ship/boat traveling from east to west then the other road on the the D will open and the traffic will divert that way to cross the water whilst the bridge on the straight road opens and allows the vessel into the lock. That bridge will then close and the traffic will once again flow back over it and the bridge on the D loop will open to allow the vessel to leave the lock. The two bridges will not be open at the same time. If a vessel is traveling the other way then the exact opposite will apply. Each bridge will be two-way traffic and it will not be a one-way system.
Colby Crossing.JPG
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:33 pm

A new four lane bridge should have been planned before any relief road was built.Every man and his dog could see the new road was not going to achieve any thing just moving the problem from one place to another.The tidal flow system has never
worked that well,seven sets of traffic lights between Adsa and Katwik Way which never appear to be syncronised all help with the chaos.As for a new bridge i can see the arguements for the eastern and the central crossing but not the western,one of Mr Colbys arguements i believe is the lock gate design would also prevent the area from flooding but racking my brain i can't ever recall it ever been flooded that far up the river.The flood gates which have been proposed are to be placed east of the present bridge exactly where they should be,that will then protect the areas around LRS and station square.

JustStu2

Post by JustStu2 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Boatbuilder, that design works on paper for pleasure craft. What about commercial vessels? Cargo vessels, offshore vessels? The lock would need to be huge. Also, I would think that both bridges would need to be opened before the vessel began its approach. From a safety point of view.

It also doesn't work from a flood prevention point. Unless Mr Colby is suggesting sacrificing all the businesses and land to the east of his bridge.

The most sensible approach is the eastern proposal. Use the existing bascule bridge one way, and a new bridge adjacent to it for traffic flowing the opposite direction.
The bulk of any money should be used to remodel the traffic system and road layout.

It any instance, the money isn't there for this. It just doesn't offer enough benefit for the outlay.

shamus
Male/Female: male

Post by shamus » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:36 am

has anyone looked into a one way circular for the town--two lanes all the way round
the flow was fine when station square was closed last year at the time of the collapse
how much traffic is A12 traffic that does not want to come into the town

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:38 pm

I imagine there is quite a lot of traffic that wants to enter, leave or even stay within Lowestoft.

It will end up being quite a long circular trip if we go with that option.
I before E except after C - That's weird

George

Post by George » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:00 pm

Nice to see the Bob and Pete road show is on the roll again.
Same old plans rolled out again, costs rising and still little chance of a result, but what would you expect from people who do not know how many crossings we have already :)
Geoge you are truely rritating

hookie

Post by hookie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:00 am

Hasn't there been dicussions and proposals about a third crossing since the 1950s? Politicians and councillors are cute enough to know that just airing anything with some scribblings on a town plan gets everyone excited and believing that something is actually going to happen and shuts everyone up for a while. I can't see it happening any time soon.

Snowgoose

Post by Snowgoose » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:40 am

A very interesting discussion going on here !

https://www.streetlife.com/conversation ... omment-355

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suffolkboy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:05 am

Any news about how The Lowestoft 3rd Road Crossing meeting which I understand took place last night progressed?
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:02 am

Trigger posted about it in the local news HERE
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:41 am

Read the article,got their heads well and truly buried in the sand ,at least there' plenty of sand just now .

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suffolkboy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:55 am

After reading the report in the `Lowestoft Journal it is clear that the people of Lowestoft have more sense than the powers that be who are expected to make the final decision,of course if you put another crossing close to the bascule bridge both will have to be open together to accommodate large shipping and all traffic will come to a stand still. Peter Colby's proposal would allow one bridge to remain closed and allow the traffic to continue to move whilst the shipping passed the first bridge,in essence the system would operate like a large canal lock. This system already can be seen working successfully in Holland.
Yes Peter is a business man,however he is also a Pakefield Lowestoft man,during his life time he has witnessed the Bridge problems and the decline of the town and most of all he is passionate about his home town - Lowestoft. Let's hope common sense will prevail and a satisfactory solution will be agreed.
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:06 pm

Suffolkboy wrote: Let's hope common sense will prevail and a satisfactory solution will be agreed.
A forlorn hope I believe Suffolkboy, where politics and politicians are involved common sense doesn't enter the equation. I think Peter Coldby made a mistake in having Bob Blizzard as his sidekick, Mr Blizzard in my opinion is solely involved to further his own ambitions.
My Flickr pictures look here