The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

The Lowestoft 3rd Road Crossing - LATEST

Discussion and debate about the issues that concern Lowestoft.
Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: The Lowestoft 3rd Road Crossing - LATEST

Post by Mel » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:06 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Suffolkboy wrote: Let's hope common sense will prevail and a satisfactory solution will be agreed.
A forlorn hope I believe Suffolkboy, where politics and politicians are involved common sense doesn't enter the equation. I think Peter Coldby made a mistake in having Bob Blizzard as his sidekick, Mr Blizzard in my opinion is solely involved to further his own ambitions.
My Flickr pictures look here

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:59 pm

Unfair Mel imo
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Mel wrote:
Suffolkboy wrote: Let's hope common sense will prevail and a satisfactory solution will be agreed.
A forlorn hope I believe Suffolkboy, where politics and politicians are involved common sense doesn't enter the equation. I think Peter Coldby made a mistake in having Bob Blizzard as his sidekick, Mr Blizzard in my opinion is solely involved to further his own ambitions.
I believe all Politicians are out to feather their own nests and no doubt Peter is looking to make a bob or two himself (not the Blizzard Bob :D ) from his idea. We have a coming election and the giveaways are falling like confetti,all are looking to get elected to enjoy being employed for the next session. You may be correct with your assumption that Bob Blizzard is out to get re elected like every other politician.

What matters,will the correct decision be eventually made about a new bridge - after all it has been trundling along for as long as I can remember - years and years. We have the same situation here at Norwich with the NDR (Northern Distribution Road). I sometimes sit and scratch my head and wonder how this country doesn't fall apart. :cry:
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:23 pm

The new bridge was talked about before I left school so must be getting on for 50 years now . What you call long winded bit of planning. :Exploding:

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:31 am

Has anybody mentioned any firm evidence as to what % of traffic going over BOTH bridges is THROUGH traffic and what % is LOCAL traffic?
It's grim up North...

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:13 pm

Not sure if it is related to the 3rd crossing but I have noticed traffic monitoring boxes going up all around Lowestoft over the last couple of days.

They look like small cases padlocked to street light poles.
I before E except after C - That's weird

Snowgoose

Post by Snowgoose » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:19 pm

from the carnival in 2012
IMG_6654_edited-1.JPG
IMG_6654_edited-1.JPG (156.41 KiB) Viewed 1372 times
sign.jpg
sign.jpg (39.29 KiB) Viewed 1372 times

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:24 pm

Lowestoft third crossing proposals sent to government

Proposals for a third water crossing in Lowestoft that had previously been ruled out have been submitted to government.The new road would cross Lake Lothing between the two existing bridges, linking Peto Way and Tom Crisp Way.
Suffolk County Council had ruled out this option last year, saying a crossing closer to the Bascule Bridge would be the most "cost effective".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-35311588

admin edit: Trigger, I have moved your post into this topic which seems more appropriate.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:28 am

BB: Thanks for doing that for me! Saw it as a news item - and posted it accordingly . . . at least, I did post it!
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:18 pm

Trigger wrote:Lowestoft third crossing proposals sent to government

Proposals for a third water crossing in Lowestoft that had previously been ruled out have been submitted to government.The new road would cross Lake Lothing between the two existing bridges, linking Peto Way and Tom Crisp Way.
Suffolk County Council had ruled out this option last year, saying a crossing closer to the Bascule Bridge would be the most "cost effective".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-35311588

admin edit: Trigger, I have moved your post into this topic which seems more appropriate.
I expect building three lanes instead of four was cost effective when the current bridge was constructed (or re-constructed).
It's grim up North...

JustStu2

Post by JustStu2 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:21 am

It was built as a two lane bridge.
Think it was changed to three lanes when the lane control system went in. Early 1990's maybe?
I went into a shop and said, "Can someone sell me a kettle." The bloke said "Kenwood" I said, "Where is he?"

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:03 am

I don't remember it being a two lane bridge, JustStu. I moved here early 1990 and had worked here since the previous year so it may have been a little earlier than that. Of course I may be wrong.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:10 am

Am I right to say it was a second-hand bridge from the continent where they would possibly have a dividing island down the middle and also cycle paths either side as well as the pedestrian walkways? and here it was converted to house the "tidal flow" 3 lane idea
Like you BB I could be wrong
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:32 am

Yes, it was designed and created for Holland in the 1970's, but wasn't fit for purpose and they refused to pay for it. Then sold to the beloved UK, with a 25 year lifespan. 40 years later, we're still suffering.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:45 pm

I was there when it was built and am sure it was three lanes from the start - even before it was re-assembled. There was lots of fuss about it with most people in agreement that three lanes was being short-sighted for the future. If they had already purchased the bridge I guess we would be stuck with the original width available.
It's grim up North...

Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: MALE

Post by 728 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:30 pm

Do we all think that by February 2018 there will be men in high vis jackets ready to construct the new bridge??
In the end its not about how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.