The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

The Lowestoft 3rd Road Crossing - LATEST

Discussion and debate about the issues that concern Lowestoft.
Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: The Lowestoft 3rd Road Crossing - LATEST

Post by Mel » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Kirkley girl wrote:I'm afraid I will only believe we are getting a third crossing when I see it being built!
I agree with you Kirkley Girl and I think we will need a new second crossing (bascule bridge) before a third one starts as the maintenance work needed on it seems to take longer and longer every year...I don't think it will last many more years :(
My Flickr pictures look here

busman
Male/Female: male

Post by busman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:48 am

What would a new bridge cost and who foots that bill? You have to wonder if a decision would be taken to go for the third crossing rather than repair the second crossing. Imagine life with only one bridge at Mutford.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:56 am

Life would then come to a standstill if that happened :(
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:16 pm

As the inner harbour is not used so much perhaps it would be cheaper to build a new grain silo on the east side of the bridge, move all the yachts to the outer harbour and then fill the channel in ;-)
It's grim up North...

busman

Post by busman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:08 pm

I doubt you'd get all the yachts in the Hamilton and the Waveney Docks. Also something else to consider is the extra traffic due to the building of the Galloper and East Anglia 1 windfarms.

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:36 am

I have a very vague memory of a plaque that was beside the swing bridge no idea of the wording but pretty sure the railway were mentioned,also it was because of the railways that the docks are as they are to-day,stands to reason they had/have some sort of Financial interested in the bridge.

Michael.S

Post by Michael.S » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:07 pm

I can not see the third crossing ever being built. WDC have to contribute so much and it will bankrupt them. We would not want our self serving politicians to miss out, would we?

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:58 pm

That's very pessimistic, Michael.S. :(

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:51 pm

Our new "Bay Gateway" has just been opened. Some very similar paralleles to Lowestoft. Lancaster has a river dividing it with two crossings, one for traffic coming in and one for traffic going out and th city is mostly gridlockked with a combination of local traffic and through traffic and traffic going to Heysham docks. There is a third crossing of the river but it is way back at the M6 junction. After 60 years of deliberation as to which route this new road should take it was finally commissioned and started three years ago. It involved the building of a new junction at junction 35 which comprises of a new bridge currently with 6 lanes but expandable to 8, this leads on the a new dual carriageway which takes traffic directly to Heysham docks. We all thought is was the wrong route and that the road would not relieve traffic in Lancaster or the surrounding areas but we have been proved wrong. The new road is really busy and Carnforth where I live now has no port traffic and very little motorway traffic using it - bliss. £63m for 4 miles of dual carriageway and 4 or 5 bridges with lots or work around the M6 junction.
It's grim up North...

JustStu2

Post by JustStu2 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:17 pm

busman wrote:Also something else to consider is the extra traffic due to the building of the Galloper and East Anglia 1 windfarms.
Those windfarms are being built from Great Yarmouth.
There are some offices for around 30 staff in Lowestoft, but no anticipated river traffic.
I went into a shop and said, "Can someone sell me a kettle." The bloke said "Kenwood" I said, "Where is he?"

busman

Post by busman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:46 am

Currently two boats moor by those offices Aquata and Forth Constructor which go down to the Galloper, and when they start to install the turbines they'll be more.

busman

Post by busman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:54 am

Currently Aquata and Forth Constructor moor by those offices they go down to the Galloper, and when they start to install the turbines they'll be more that'll be late spring early summer. I'm not aware of any boats going south from Great Yarmouth and as far as I'm aware the only
windfarm serviced from there is the Scroby.

JustStu2

Post by JustStu2 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:05 pm

Galloper is being constructed from Gt Yarmouth. All tower sections, nacelles, and blades will be shipped into GY, and then pre-assembled in GY and shipped out on a jack-up from GY to the windfarm, where they'll be erected.
I went into a shop and said, "Can someone sell me a kettle." The bloke said "Kenwood" I said, "Where is he?"

busman

Post by busman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:35 am

We're talking about two entirely different operations. When I refer to the building of the wind turbines I'm referring to the high speed craft that take all the engineers to the windfarm.

JustStu2

Post by JustStu2 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:51 pm

Commissioning?

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:02 pm

'All the engineers' sounds like the erecting of them in situ to me.