The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Opening and closing

Discussion and debate about the issues that concern Lowestoft.
Cowper
Male/Female: Female

Re: Opening and closing

Post by Cowper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:29 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

I was away for a couple of weeks recently so obviously missed the closing of Nicolls Meats in the Britten Centre, which I saw yesterday when I went into town. It wasn't a huge surprise because there was a pretty hot debate about this shop in Streetlife earlier on this year. One local contributor was in dispute with them over a Xmas hamper she'd ordered, and the turkey crown I think was pretty rank when she opened it. She'd received no compensation or even apology from the shop and was thinking of taking the matter to court. It was also in the news that 3 of their stores around the county had been found to be selling meat products that were, I think, 2 or 3 years out of date. So what finally did it? Is it just our store that was closed, or has the whole chain been closed down?

I only went in there once myself and wasn't happy with the product so never went back. Also I don't think the meat products displayed country of origin. The writing was definitely on the wall I think, because whereas it was pretty crowded when it first opened, since last Christmas there would be just one or two customers in there whenever I walked by, and sometimes none at all.

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:30 pm

I didn't know they had closed in the Britten centre, although not too surprised as the rent is expensive and custom had dropped. I do know the company was considering legal action for the press release, as this had a material effect on the drop-off of the business and despite everything after several months they were found to have been innocent of any criminal activity. People do seem to have misunderstand who Nicholls were - they were 'not' a butcher as people thought, they were basically a shop that sold meat purchased from wholesalers and other 3rd parties. Having checked their Facebook page, the Great Yarmouth branch is still open as of 11am today, and so I imagine the closure of Lowestoft was a simple profit/loss decision.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:53 pm

I was in the Britten centre on Wednesday and didn't realise they had closed it may have been me not being observant
There is a new late night convienence store in LRS
The new Quay but the sea is opened with tea rooms downstairs pie room middle floor and gin room top floor looks really nicely decorated and restored
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:05 pm

funkychick wrote:The new Quay but the sea is opened with tea rooms downstairs pie room middle floor and gin room top floor looks really nicely decorated and restored
Are you referring to this place, FC? viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1495&p=66226&hilit=gin#p66226
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Cowper
Male/Female: Female

Post by Cowper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:45 pm

SL-Dave wrote:I didn't know they had closed in the Britten centre, although not too surprised as the rent is expensive and custom had dropped. I do know the company was considering legal action for the press release, as this had a material effect on the drop-off of the business and despite everything after several months they were found to have been innocent of any criminal activity. I imagine the closure of Lowestoft was a simple profit/loss decision.
I honestly don't think this was a profit/loss decision. They were in dispute with a Lowestoft family over the 'rotten' meat they received in their Christmas hamper, plus they were also charged with selling meat products in 2/3 of their shops (possibly pork mince) that was 2/3 years our of date, and which had been originally produced for M & S. The FSA was also involved. The publicity generated via Streetlife members and outwards from them via friends and family, would've had a negative effect on their business. I think also there were no sell-by or use-by dates on their meat packs and no countries of origin. So I'm not sure how they could've been 'innocent' of any criminal activity. Perhaps their practices weren't criminal, but they definitely sounded questionable, if not unethical.

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:09 pm

Yes, and as I myself pasted on Streetlife at the time, the FSA cleared them of any wrongdoing in a press release made several months after their original press release, where they release the food items back to Nicholls that they had originally seized. Below is the comment made by Nicholls on the 12th January about this:

"To all our customers. Just an update on the stuffing issues at Christmas. As you were all aware we withdrew the stuffings as the EHO thought the product was mislabelled and the fact that 30 odd cases for the Coldstores came in with the wrong date on them. (We should of checked) (we will never make that mistake again)
We did fail to put " Do not re freeze" on them but we thought as they were part of the hamper and were to be consumed with the Turkey on Christmas Day so we didn't need to. (We have leaned from that mistake).
So the FSA then issued a "Food Alert" with sensational headlines, even though we had withdrawn the product 4 days previous. They then put all our stock on hold which is standard practise. But today they informed us by the below letter that, The product was safe and is safe for human consumption. 17 days too late!
As you can see from the letter we had 10 pallets of stuffings for the hampers which after testing has shown to be 100% safe.
Nicholls would never put food safety at risk and the results show this.
I would like to thank all our loyal customers who both believed us and kept the faith.
Maybe the EHO and the FSA (due to time of year) over panicked and maybe we should of labelled more clearly but this shows both Nicholls and the supplier supplied safe food which we will always do.
Thanks.
Edwin , Devon, Michael."

Taken from https://www.facebook.com/nichollsmeatsg ... h/?fref=ts.

Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: MALE

Post by 728 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:31 pm

I see there is some activity going on in the old Jessops store.
In the end its not about how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Mon May 01, 2017 6:25 am

What was Tides before ?
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Mon May 01, 2017 6:36 am

funkychick wrote:What was Tides before ?
There used to be a betting shop on the site I believe and before that it used to be a gift shop Funkychick.
My Flickr pictures look here

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Mon May 01, 2017 6:57 am

Oh thanks Mel... but that hasn't helped haha which part of Bridge Rd up near Winelodge or down by the little shops

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Mon May 01, 2017 9:27 am

funkychick wrote:Oh thanks Mel... but that hasn't helped haha which part of Bridge Rd up near Winelodge or down by the little shops
The row of shops opposite the Waveney pub Funkychick 8-)

busman
Male/Female: male

Hatfield Lodge

Post by busman » Mon May 15, 2017 8:39 am

Anybody know what Hatfield Lodge is all about. This is the old Wine Lodge opposite the Hatfield Hotel, the word Wine has been removed and replaced by Hatfield. I noticed it as I was coming out of Shish because the lights were all on over there.

SL-Dave

Re: Hatfield Lodge

Post by SL-Dave » Mon May 15, 2017 8:50 am

busman wrote:Anybody know what Hatfield Lodge is all about. This is the old Wine Lodge opposite the Hatfield Hotel, the word Wine has been removed and replaced by Hatfield. I noticed it as I was coming out of Shish because the lights were all on over there.
After the Winelodge closed down, the building was put up for sale - apparently it was a 10 bedroomed hotel with downstairs bar,although I never knew that Winelodge rented out rooms. The owners of Hotel Hatfield bought it in order to expand the business, and now put some of their guests up in there when they are full over the road.

busman
Male/Female: male

Post by busman » Tue May 16, 2017 8:00 am

I did'nt know there were bedrooms in the Winelodge opposite the Hatfield they have the hotel in Oulton Broad ofcourse, which is tied in with the Canteen somehow.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Tue May 16, 2017 8:06 am

There has always been used rooms in Wine lodge I remember about three or four years ago showing a young business man the way as he had been booked in there but not sure how to get to it we walked up together also remember there was an article in the Journal about the Neighbours woman can't remember her name who was in a pantomime here and she was housed over there as the main building was full and she was not a happy bunny

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Tue May 16, 2017 8:27 am

My sister-in-law stayed at the Winelodge a few years ago and she had no complaints. Her room was comfortable and the breakfasts were good and the staff were friendly...just what you want in a B&B 8-)