The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Opening and closing

Discussion and debate about the issues that concern Lowestoft.
funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Re: Opening and closing

Post by funkychick » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:12 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Are you sure its a pub Meryl ?i know the cafe Tea by the Sea is opening a new cafe called Tea by the Quay along there March/April just wondering if its the same one
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Meryl » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:01 pm

funkychick wrote:Are you sure its a pub Meryl ?i know the cafe Tea by the Sea is opening a new cafe called Tea by the Quay along there March/April just wondering if its the same one
I can't say for sure but this is what I was told. Could be totally wrong. apologies if that is so.

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:42 pm

1. The old Aphrodite Fish and Chip shop is indeed called Michaels. However, their takeaway unit overlooking the actual promenade is called Pinky's. Tide's Reach is actually next door.

2. The former curios shop on Waveney Road near the bingo hall is going to be a music venue by all accounts, called either Pipeworks or Ropeworks - both names are used in signs in windows.

3. The old Patch embroidery shop in Bevan Street is now a book shop, can't remember the name.

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Meryl » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:46 am

frankiesays wrote:Our Homebase Argos has already been removed leaving an empty space. I don't know if you have noticed this in your Homebase but ours up here in Morecambe has gone distinctly downmarket. Only half the lights on and lots of products on pallets in the aisles, etc. It's getting to look more like Wickes now. Even the upstairs kitchen and bathroom showroom is looking cheap and tatty. I don't mind cheap obviously :-)
Just had a visit to Homebase and Argos is gone. " whata mistakea to makea." Didn't the fools realise that they brought people into the shop?

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Although I found the Argos in Homebase handy, I would only go there for Argos when I had reserved something online and wouldn't bother with the Homebase part when I picked it up unless there was something I specifically wanted from there at the time.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:43 pm

1. Work is under way at the north end of town for the new Burger King fast food restaurant, with foundations looking to have been laid. Slightly delayed - planned to have opened on December 3rd last year! - but at least something is happening.

2. New convenience store / off license opened up in the old Oxfam shop in Bevan Street, appropriately named Bevan Street Store.

3. As per previous post, new book store in Bevan Street is called Othello's Books.

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Meryl » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:56 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Although I found the Argos in Homebase handy, I would only go there for Argos when I had reserved something online and wouldn't bother with the Homebase part when I picked it up unless there was something I specifically wanted from there at the time.
that's where we differ BB, whenever I collected from Argos I would invariably stroll down to the garden centre.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:04 pm

I was like you BB in and out Never went round it will this new one sell the same stuff ?
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:29 pm

QD Stores are looking to reopen in Lowestoft. Unsure of location, but they are currently advertising for staff.

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Unsure when it happened, by looks like Lawson Street Off License has closed down. Windows have been whitewashed for weeks. Possible it's being turned back into residential accommodation.

busman
Male/Female: male

Post by busman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:29 am

I've seen workmen in Tides restaurant, Bridge Road, so it would seem it is to reopen, alas I don't what as.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:28 pm

There's a new 'open all hours' convienence store in London Rd Sth just down from Cooks furnishes

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:44 pm

Lowestoft car park closes ahead of demolition work

A Lowestoft car park which is due to be demolished has been closed to the public. Waveney District Council announced the closure of Battery Green car park at the start of December, with the four-storey facility originally due to close on January 6, 2017. However the date was later pushed back, with the car park closing for the final time on March 31. A post on the council’s Facebook page said: “The closure and subsequent demolition of the car park is not expected to have any impact on neighbouring businesses. “Additional signage has been placed in the vicinity of the car park, directing shoppers to the nearest Pay and Display car park on Whapload Road."

http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/ ... -1-4972514

busman
Male/Female: male

Post by busman » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:10 am

Tides in Bridge Road will reopen as a restaurant, and the top floor of the Winelodge also in Bridge Road is to be a Turkish restaurant.

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Looks likely the new Burger King in North Lowestoft will close before it opens; the company that was going to operate it, Millcliffe Ltd, has just gone into administration. This may upset WDC, who are now left with an empty piece of land with foundations, and the corner of the preserved old biscuit factory. I can see this being sold off to developers for more housing soon, just like has happened with other similar spaces in the area owned by WDC.

Cowper
Male/Female: Female

Post by Cowper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:29 pm

I was away for a couple of weeks recently so obviously missed the closing of Nicolls Meats in the Britten Centre, which I saw yesterday when I went into town. It wasn't a huge surprise because there was a pretty hot debate about this shop in Streetlife earlier on this year. One local contributor was in dispute with them over a Xmas hamper she'd ordered, and the turkey crown I think was pretty rank when she opened it. She'd received no compensation or even apology from the shop and was thinking of taking the matter to court. It was also in the news that 3 of their stores around the county had been found to be selling meat products that were, I think, 2 or 3 years out of date. So what finally did it? Is it just our store that was closed, or has the whole chain been closed down?

I only went in there once myself and wasn't happy with the product so never went back. Also I don't think the meat products displayed country of origin. The writing was definitely on the wall I think, because whereas it was pretty crowded when it first opened, since last Christmas there would be just one or two customers in there whenever I walked by, and sometimes none at all.