The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Europion union

Outside of the UK issues and events worth discussing.

If you voted in the Euro election who did you vote for?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:41 pm

1. Labour
17%
2. Conservative
17%
3. Lib Dems
No votes
4. Green Party
8%
5. UKIP
17%
6. BNP
No votes
7. Other
8%
8. Abstained (didn't vote)
33%

Total votes: 12

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: Male

Europion union

Post by Aussie K » Tue May 27, 2014 8:35 pm

I cannot in my wildest dreams understand why that after the dramatic events of the last few days of the euro voting following on from the local elections not a single word has been written or comment made about them ( unless I am missing them).
What is this foram all about, why is their a news topic if that cannot hit the head lines. Are we all scared nof falling out with each other or is it embarrassment at the results,.
I believe we would increase our membership if we could have a few more lively and controversial topics, people should not be afraid to air there views or being a loner in there particular topic

What say you.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Re: Europion union

Post by funkychick » Tue May 27, 2014 9:34 pm

Aussies back
I m not afraid to debate I hate UKIP and what it stands for I didn't want to go into Europe and there are many things about it I disagree with but I think it would be committing suicide to withdraw now Farage is an intelligent man and a smooth talker who many think is charismatic I believe he is grooming the nation by jumping on what he knows is bothering many, he s a 'slap you on the back trust me I m your best mate' type who is as trustworthy as a bad used car sales man he is a far right and sits closer to the BNP or NF than he would have you believe
There you go Aussie shoot me now
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue May 27, 2014 9:43 pm

I have added a poll for you all to indicate who you voted for, or if you didn't vote. You don't have to post a reply if you don't want to, so it is confidential. Just be honest!!
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Aussie K » Tue May 27, 2014 10:24 pm

I believe he is a breath of fresh air in British politics, he has shook the mainstream parties to there foundations and is not afraid to stand up to the political elite who have made damaging inroads into our freedom of speech. He has caused along with others a calamitos new situation in the EU and it is/or maybe only the beginning of the brake down of it. it may even effect the dominance of the Germans in the long run. I have no quarrel with the germans because I believe they have been a force for the good in Europe.
I shall no matter what, use my franchise to the best of my judgement to bring about our membership of this unaccountable organisation who I feel certain is holding us back from being as successful as the top URO nations.
I will I know be between the devil & the deep blue sea when we have a general election who to vote for without risking the hard felt progress that have been made in our economy.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Wed May 28, 2014 8:38 am

....and you are seeing Farage in exactly the light he means you to see him in he will have the electorate easting out f his hand just as Hitler did he has found the one thing bothering Brits and grabbed it with both hands an intelligent man a great manipulator ....be careful what you wish for
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Wed May 28, 2014 1:22 pm

My vote didn't go to UKIP but I do believe the majority of people who did vote for them are not racists or homophobes or fans of Adolph but decent hard working citizens who none of the main stream parties were listening to, but after the success of UKIP they are listening now.

When 'New Labour' were in power and opened up our borders to all anyone who was worried that our schools and hospitals and housing couldn't cope with the numbers entering were shouted down and accused of being racists but sadly these so called racists were proven right. It wasn't immigration that was a bad idea simply the numbers of immigrants arriving.

We are now paying £30million a year in sending child benefit to the families of migrant workers who live in other EU countries.Why? I am quite happy staying in a Common Market with our European neighbours but if we are to stay in the European Union I belive we should renegotiate our membership contract and after doing so the public should be told the new terms and conditions and be allowed to vote on whether they want to stay in the European Union or not.

At this moment in time the only party who is giving us that choice is the Conservatives; Labour doesn't trust the electorate to make up their own minds so no referendum from them. A vote for UKIP in a general election will not get us out of the EU but just put Labour back into power.

So to all the people who voted for UKIP in the European elections a vote for the Conservatives in a general election will give you a say in what happens in Europe, it is the only party that will.
My Flickr pictures look here

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu May 29, 2014 12:59 pm

You may have overlooked the May Elections topic Aussie in which UKIP was discussed leading up to the elections I am in agreement with Mel on a lot of his points and some of yours. I was making the point previously that whether you like UKIP or not it would be a good idea to vote for them on this occasion as it is the only way of making your point if you are concerned with immigration or Europe. It appears that a large percentage of the population held the same view and now we will see the big parties changing direction. Whether UKIP will maintain this popularity into a general election is a totally different thing, we will then see how much of the May vote was a protest vote and how much was a move over to that party. I think Nigel Farage is quite able and willing to say exactly what he thinks whether or not he thinks it is "PC" or not. I'm quite fed up with people picking at him for not using exactly the right words in his comments or trying to trip him up into saying something contentious, I'm sure he'll say exactly what he believes if asked. It is a new party and as such there will be people who will try to influence it and pull it in their personal direction but in the end it could settle down to be the third force in politics. Whether I will vote for them or not remains to be seen.

I think renegotiating our EU terms will be a total waste of time as it is a massive machine that eats money and needs feeding all the time. If it were abolished I'm sure we will still all get on well with one another and trade just as we do now. We can soon get used to different road signs in different countries as we always did before and I don't care if the bananas are not as straight as they currently are.

I seem to recall a couple of years back that we were seeing crime by Romanian gypsies reported in the national papers on a daily basis now some people on here would like to call us racist for suggesting they may be trouble-makers.
It's grim up North...

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Aussie K » Thu May 29, 2014 10:05 pm

It may well be the case that the labour party will be forced to modify there views on a in/out vote when all the political journelists and current affairs programmes get there teethes in and there opinion poll ratings drop.

George

Post by George » Fri May 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Mel wrote:
When 'New Labour' were in power and opened up our borders to all anyone who was worried that our schools and hospitals and housing couldn't cope with the numbers entering were shouted down and accused of being racists but sadly these so called racists were proven right. It wasn't immigration that was a bad idea simply the numbers of immigrants arriving.

We are now paying £30million a year in sending child benefit to the families of migrant workers who live in other EU countries..
Err
The process of establishing freedom of movement for all nationals of Member States was finalized with the signing of the Maastricht Treaty in 1992, which created the European Union (EU) and introduced the concept of a common European citizenship. Signed by John Major, who was the Conservative PM.
Still, don't let facts get in the way.

£30M is a lot, about the same as one mile of motorway. So in the overall scheme of things, not a lot.
Geoge you are truely rritating

George

Post by George » Fri May 30, 2014 8:42 pm

If UKip remained a single issue party with the sole aim of removing the UK from the EU then I feel it would remain very much a minority party.
However, it has become a anti-migration party, and with that it has attracted some people with pretty unpleasant views. As the BNP were the NF in a suit, then UKip is the BNP with a membership to the golf club. Its all jolly good fun on the surface, but scratch a little deeper and un-pleasant views soon start to show. This is put down to doing away with PC views but what it is, is good old fashioned racism.

All this talk of doing away with the political elite is a joke, coming from a ex public school boy who has worked in the city and is now a professional (as in getting paid) politician. If UKip were serious about leaving the EU wouldn't they not take their seats, nor the cash that comes with it? and concentrate in becoming an MP in Westminster where they could work towards achieving their aim.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Fri May 30, 2014 11:18 pm

George wrote: Its all jolly good fun on the surface, but scratch a little deeper and un-pleasant views soon start to show
All parties seem to have there un-pleasant views...

Bigoted Woman

George

Post by George » Fri May 30, 2014 11:29 pm

Mel wrote:
George wrote: Its all jolly good fun on the surface, but scratch a little deeper and un-pleasant views soon start to show
All parties seem to have there un-pleasant views...

Bigoted Woman
Indeed, and UKip seem to be the experts at them.

Dave Small, who was elected to Redditch borough council on Friday, faces being kicked out of the party for referring to gay people as "perverts" and African immigrants as "scroungers".

In comments posted on Facebook, he also attacked BBC broadcaster Clare Balding and singer Elton John over their sexuality and referred to "our sworn enemies in the Muslim world".

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... k-comments

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Fri May 30, 2014 11:30 pm

George wrote:[The process of establishing freedom of movement for all nationals of Member States was finalized with the signing of the Maastricht Treaty in 1992, which created the European Union (EU) and introduced the concept of a common European citizenship. Signed by John Major, who was the Conservative PM.
Still, don't let facts get in the way
No we will let Labour speak for themselves Chris Bryant MP

George

Post by George » Fri May 30, 2014 11:49 pm

Good try Mel, but the facts are pretty clear, it was a Conservative government that signed up for open borders.
By all means argue about transitional arrangements, but please don't try to re-write history.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat May 31, 2014 9:49 am

George wrote:Good try Mel, but the facts are pretty clear, it was a Conservative government that signed up for open borders.
By all means argue about transitional arrangements, but please don't try to re-write history.
Spoken like a true politician George :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: