The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 13th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 21st March 2024 at 5:07pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

What We've Watched On TV...

Discuss Cinema, Theatre, Shows, Music, Games and all forms of media and entertainment here.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: What We've Watched On TV...

Post by Trigger » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:36 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Mel wrote:One of my favourite Christmas TV viewing events is watching Charles Dickens 'A Christmas Carol'. Although there has been a few adaptations of this story my favourite one and I think the best is 'Scrooge' (1951) starring Alastair Sim.
Totally agree, Mel! I have the 60th Anniversary Blu Ray of “A Christmas Carol” – and I’ll be watching that on “The Day”! I like seeing how many of the cast I recognise – especially Kathleen Harrison!

I also have the DVD of “Scrooge!” and watched the opening sequence of the titles only last evening. I love the arrangement and singing of “Sing a Christmas Carol” – especially towards it’s end when the Sopranos sing a counter-melody above the other voices. Here’s the nearest I could find of that – sung here by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra. Enjoy!
[youtube]2KFJPAw8qG8[/youtube]
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:35 am

If anyone was an avid fan of 'Downton Abbey' you might be interested to know that Amazon are currently selling the complete series boxed sets of all 52 episodes and extras for £23.69 on Blu-ray (22 discs) or £18.99 on DVD (26 discs). Note: click the DVD link box - where it shows the price of £16.14 - for the full list of DVD variations when the link below opens

DOWNTON ABBEY at AMAZON
Downton.JPG
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:13 pm

I've just been watching a recording I made of a program that was first broadcast on Channel 5 on the 18th December (nothing else worth watching tonight) entitled 'ABBA - When All is Said and Done' which is a Drama/Documentary which focuses mainly on the lives of the two female singers Agnetha and Frida. It was quite emotional at times and certainly draws one's attention to what they had to endure during their heyday, and after. It was certainly was worth viewing and lasted in excess of two hours (including ads which of course were skipped :D).

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:22 pm

I have just finished watching a four-part series on BBC2 - 'A House Through Time' - which traces the people who had lived in a house in Liverpool - 62 Falkner Street - since it was built in 1840 through to the present day. I found this a very interesting series, probably because of my roots, but I am sure if you haven't seen it and are interested in such historical documentaries you will find it as interesting as I did. It is certainly worth a watch.

The first episode is still available for the next 10 days on iPlayer HERE and the subsequent ones for up to 29 days, as of today.

This is part of the text accompanying the above link:
This series tells a story of Britain spanning a period of seismic social change from the 1840s to the present day, through the prism of a single-terraced house in Liverpool. Presenter David Olusoga delves into 180 years of history, searching through city archives, scouring records and tracking down living descendants to tell the untold stories of the people who lived there, and reveal a unique insight into the making of modern Britain.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:05 am

Last week I watched a program on National Geographic in the series 'Seconds from Disaster' which was about the crash of one of the first jet airliners - that of a BOAC Comet - which crashed in the Mediterranean near the Italian island of Elba in January 1954. On that plane was a respected Australian war correspondent Chester Wilmot who worked for both the BBC and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation - who, along with all the other 34 people on board, was killed.

This prompted me to look up more about him and I discovered that he wrote just two books - Tobruk 1941 and The Struggle For Europe - both about WW2. The former book is available in digital format but the latter is not. However, I found a bookseller on Amazon who was selling a 'good' used hardback copy of the original printed edition from 1952 for just £3 plus delivery so I decided to invest. This arrived today and is as described in 'good condition' considering it is 65 years old.

However, I also found neatly folded up between the pages of the book, a newspaper cutting from August 30th 1952 (which I determined from the text in the cutting as there is no other date on it) reporting on the 10th Anniversary of the WW2 'Battle of Alam Halfa' which took place near El Alamein between the Allied troops of the English, led by Montgomery, and New Zealand and the German forces under Rommel with the Italians and which resulted in victory for the Allied forces. (image below) I have no idea which newspaper the cutting is from.

The book itself is some 750 pages in length and is a comprehensive history of the entire war in Europe. I now just have to find the time to read it. The book is also available as a reprint from 1997 on Amazon, but I am happy with my copy from the original printing.

And all this from just watching an episode of 'Seconds from Disaster' :D
Struggle For Europe.jpg
Battle for Alam Halfa.jpg

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:30 pm

I have just been looking through the documentaries available on BBC iPlayer on my iPad and have come across the 1961 documentary "Elsa the Lioness" in which David Attenborough visits Joy and George Adamson in Kenya and meets Elsa the lioness and her cubs shortly before Elsa's death. The program can only be streamed but is available for over a year. I have added it to my 'To Watch' list.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:09 am

I watched he last episodes of 'Hard Sun' and 'McMafia' over the weekend and enjoyed both series. Hopefully both will be back in the future as the endings seemed to suggest it was a possibility. Hard Sun's closing scenes saw the catastrophe of the title seemingly arrive only for the ticking doomsday clock to appear on screen with four more years still counting down. McMafia started with Alex Godman, played by James Norten, as the hero/good guy of the series and ended up with him as bad as the villains he was trying to bring down. There's plenty of scope for him to return in a second series so we can see what becomes him.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:50 am

Loved a House Through Time B.B. and what a great intelligent presenter so interesting I hope they do another
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:33 pm

Yes, it was good FC.

I'm currently enjoying the 'three-consecutive-night' drama on ITV - 'Trauma' and the second series of the BBC4 Scandinavian drama 'Modus' which started on Saturday evening and which is about a state visit of the US President (a woman) to Sweden who disappears from her room during the night, despite the security. Although subtitled, there is a lot of English spoken for obvious reason.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Two programs worth watching:

Last night I watched a very good program that I had recorded from Channel 4 about a week ago, entitled 24 Hours in Police Custody. This was the first episode of Series 5 (although I haven't seen the previous ones) and is broadcast at 21:00 on Mondays. This episode focused on a corrupt police officer who tried to blackmail a person who had paid for sex. The series is centred around Bedfordshire Constabulary. I shall continue watching the series which I have set to record.
24 hours in police custody.JPG
There is also another very interesting series of programs, this time on BBC1 at 9-15am Monday to Friday this week and next, where two criminal barristers are re-examining old cases on behalf of relatives of people who were executed before hanging was abolished in the mid 1960's, to see if there is any new evidence of a possible miscarriage of justice to justify the cases being officially reviewed. The final decision on this being made by a Crown Court Judge. This was yesterday's program:
MMMF.JPG

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:09 pm

I watched an old Agatha Chiristie's Miss Marple the "4.50 From Paddington" the other evening. Miss Marple was played by Joan Hickson who I believe is the definitive Marple. I have watched all the Miss Marple series on the TV and none of the other actresses who play the part can do it so well in my opinion.

Tonight is the final episodes of the Swedish crime drama 'Modus' about a criminal psychologist (I expect you will be tuned in Boatbuilder 8-) ). Compared to some of the other Scandinavian crime series I have watched this is probably not one of the best; but saying that it has still been an interesting and intriguing series and I am looking forward to see how it pan's out.

Like some other TV programmes the producers will probably leave you with a not quite finished scenario, so they can make another series....knowing you will tune in to see what happens in a newer series.
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:51 pm

I am watching 'Modus' on 'Catch-up' Mel, I'm a week behind. I don't think it will end as 'unfinished' as this is the second series and the first one didn't as this one is a completely different story. Then again, who knows? SVT/BBC no doubt. :D

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:34 am

In case you're not aware, here is advance notice about tonight's BBC One 'Countryfile' program at 7-pm, which is on Heritage Crafts in Norfolk.
2018-04-22.png

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:04 am

Watched a very interesting nature programme: ‘Super Fast Falcon’ – we join renowned bird handler Lloyd Buck, who, with the help of state-of-the-art technology and leading avian scientists, puts his peregrines to the test. And finally, we see if Lloyd can train one young peregrine for the ultimate challenge of speed and agility - against an Olympic skier in the Swiss Alps. Through such groundbreaking experiments and intimate views of these special birds in the wild, the secrets behind these super-fast falcons can finally be revealed.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b0y536 includes iPlayer link
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:38 am

I was watching an 'article' on BBC Breakfast earlier this week and I believe it was the same person in the studio with the falcon as they showed the clip with the skier and explained how the falcon followed the skier. I haven't watched the above link yet so of course it may also give the detail in the program.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:09 pm

That's it! Very interesting and enjoyable programme - and I managed to stay awake right to the end! :no: