The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 13th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 21st March 2024 at 5:07pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

2018 Other News Stories that might be missed

A place to post any interesting news topics
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: 2018 Other News Stories that might be missed

Post by Trigger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

You're welcome, bb! Was going to post the Mirror's article which gives a bit more info + photo of one of the packs - see: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... o-12009636
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Thanks again Trigger, much appreciated.

It's unfortunate that some of the newspaper websites have so much c**p on them that the page seems to take a lifetime to download, despite having high-speed fibre. I suppose it's the only way they can make their money.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:59 pm

Trigger wrote:Bunch of balloons in Billericay halts trains in their tracks

Rush-hour trains were disrupted for more than two hours by a bunch of balloons tangled on overhead lines.
Commuters using Greater Anglia services were delayed in the Billericay area of Essex when about 50 yellow and black balloons got stuck.
One commuter said his driver announced a "party balloon" was to blame.
Asked why a train could not plough through balloons, Greater Anglia said they could damage the train. Network Rail engineers removed them.
Disruption to trains started just after 08:00 GMT on Friday and lasted until 10:35.
Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43006771
Am I the only one thinking that a dart gun or blowpipe would have sorted these out far quicker and at far less cost?!

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:06 pm

muzzy wrote:
Trigger wrote:Bunch of balloons in Billericay halts trains in their tracks

Rush-hour trains were disrupted for more than two hours by a bunch of balloons tangled on overhead lines.
Commuters using Greater Anglia services were delayed in the Billericay area of Essex when about 50 yellow and black balloons got stuck.
One commuter said his driver announced a "party balloon" was to blame.
Asked why a train could not plough through balloons, Greater Anglia said they could damage the train. Network Rail engineers removed them.
Disruption to trains started just after 08:00 GMT on Friday and lasted until 10:35.
Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43006771
Am I the only one thinking that a dart gun or blowpipe would have sorted these out far quicker and at far less cost?!
But who would have had one of them to hand?

Then I suppose 'sod's law' would have kicked in and one of them would have damaged an overhead cable and caused further delays whilst they repaired the wires. :roll:

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:08 pm

muzzy wrote: Am I the only one thinking that a dart gun or blowpipe would have sorted these out far quicker and at far less cost?!
Perhaps it's not as simple as that. I would think that the whole entanglement would need to be removed from the overhead wires.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:09 am

boatbuilder wrote:Thanks again Trigger, much appreciated.

It's unfortunate that some of the newspaper websites have so much c**p on them that the page seems to take a lifetime to download, despite having high-speed fibre. I suppose it's the only way they can make their money.
Ad blockers work a treat for that sort of thing.

I use Chrome with Adblock Plus
I before E except after C - That's weird

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:54 am

Often websites nowadays can sense if you are using some form of ad blocker, and refuse to load until you switch them back on.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:03 pm

Parkinson's sufferer ejected from Halfords 'for funny walk'

A man with Parkinson's disease was told to leave a Halfords store for acting suspiciously by "walking funny".
Chris Cartlidge, 51, was ejected from the shop in Trent Vale, Stoke-on-Trent, after his symptoms caused his leg to stiffen and drag on the floor.
He said when he told a shop assistant he had Parkinson's, she replied: "I don't care what you've got, I want you to leave the store."
Halfords said it had "sincerely apologised" to him and his family.
Mr Cartlidge, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's 10 years ago, said he had approached the shop assistant for help in finding some car parts in January.
"I try to be as normal as possible but it's really demeaning when people say things like that to me," he said.
His daughter Katrina Cartlidge said she was "devastated and mortified" by the way her father was treated at the store on Springfields Retail Park.
"It's hard to see him suffering like this," she said, adding that he tried to "make the most of life" and remain as active as possible.
"I would never expect someone to treat my dad that way or anyone to be judged by that - by disability."
A spokesperson for Halfords said its team "fell short of meeting our standards".
"We are all very sorry for Mr Cartlidge's experience and sincerely apologised to him and his family at the time for any embarrassment this misunderstanding caused."
Benali Hamdache, campaign manager at Parkinson's UK, said the charity is "calling for a little bit more awareness and a little bit more understanding".
"We hope that Halfords can actually start by leading with an example and embrace our call to take on some training," he added.

Article Link

How despicable. Personally, I think Halfords should start by sacking the shop assistant.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:40 am

South African lions eat 'poacher', leaving just his head

A suspected big cat poacher has been eaten by lions near the Kruger National Park in South Africa, police say.
The animals left little behind, but some body parts were found over the weekend at a game park near Hoedspruit.
"It seems the victim was poaching in the game park when he was attacked and killed by lions," Limpopo police spokesman Moatshe Ngoepe told AFP.
"They ate his body, nearly all of it, and just left his head and some remains."
Police have not yet established the victim's identity. A loaded hunting rifle and ammunition were found next to the body, South African website Eyewitness News reports.
Lion poaching has been on the rise in Limpopo province in recent years.
The big cats' body parts are sometimes used in traditional medicine, both within Africa and beyond.
Wildlife charity the Born Free Foundation says lion bones and other body parts are increasingly sought-after in South East Asia, where they are sometimes used as a substitute for tiger bones.
In January 2017, three male lions were found poisoned in Limpopo with their paws and heads cut off.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43035474

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:52 am

Served him right!

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:25 am

Lions 1 / Poachers 0

Keep up the good work, Lions! :thumbsup:

Karen
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: female

Post by Karen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:27 am

Karma!

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:41 am

Boy, 12, is almost killed after swallowing BALL BEARINGS: Playground craze gone wrong rips a hole through his stomach

Twelve-year-old Freddie Webster nearly died after a new playground craze saw him swallow ball bearings.
The two pairs of tiny super-strong magnetic balls slowly pulled towards each other inside him over five days, gradually ripping a hole in the wall of his stomach.
Surgeons had to remove 10cm of his small bowel in a four-and-a-half-hour lifesaving operation on February 3.
Freddie then spent eight days recovering at Hull Royal Infirmary.
His mother Sarah Webster is now warning parents of the dangers and Freddie's school has banned them.
Full article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... rings.html

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Real or cake? Mum creates life-size creations of twins

Image: Lara Mason

An amateur baker has created life-size cake versions of her twin daughters to celebrate their first birthday.
Lara Mason, 31, from Walsall, spent more than 100 hours crafting the edible version of her daughters Lily and Lyla.
The creation was made from 44 eggs, 2.2kg of flour and 4kg of buttercream.
"It's the most critical I have ever been while making 'cake people' because I feel like I did such a good job making them so cute in the first place," Mrs Mason said.

Full article with more images and other creations

Watch out, the GBBO :D

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:07 am

"I’m not including the article as the title says it all – but it’s worth opening the link to watch the CCTV clip!" :lol:

Hilarious moment a bungling burglar is KNOCKED OUT by a flying brick that was thrown by his own accomplice http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z57A4jmzl6

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Chinese woman joins handbag in X-ray machine

Worried about your bags being stolen at security? One Chinese woman joined her handbag through an X-ray machine to prevent just that.

Staff at Dongguan Railway Station in southern China were shocked to find the silhouette of the train commuter on their X-ray monitors.
An online video showed the bizarre incident took place on Sunday during the Lunar New Year travel rush.
After climbing off the conveyor belt, the woman checked her bags and left.
Extraordinary X-ray images show the woman kneeling on all fours behind her luggage, still wearing high-heeled shoes.
It is unclear why the woman was so anxious about her handbag, but many people in China carry large amounts of cash when travelling home for Chinese New Year.

Full Story